Cell standby: Can't work my way to it

mireazma

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello community. I hope someone here could and would help me. I've got the ancient, still unsolved, problem that we all know: "cell standby" sucking at the balls of my battery. It has these:
Cell standby = 48%
Phone idle = 46%
Screen = 3%
Android System = 3%
Dialer = 2%
in the last about 5 hrs
I've googled it of course and saw some solutions but before getting to solutions it appears that my kitkat phone has another, related, problem:
I want to get to the screen where wakes, wifi, screen and others show their activity as bars during the last time, you know with green, yellow segments. I wanted to see the signal history. To get there I saw I need to tap the battery graph. Well, I go to settings > battery and there is no battery graph so, no sense of stuff activity over time. Is it normal? How can I get the graph? I have a THL 4000.
Missing battery graph would be problem #2.
Problem #1 is the cell standby. I tried settings > more > Mobile networks > 3G service > Enable 3G = off but it doesn't change a thing. I read something with enabling "radio" mode. Isn't any way to disable this? IF the signal is lost, don't go radio. Or search for the signal once every 5-10 min. I'm not too much of a talker over phone anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Not sure why you don't have a battery graph--it may be some quirk of the manufacturer, which isn't that well-known. You could install a 3rd party battery monitor like GSam Battery Monitor.

Is your cell signal generally weak? That can lead to a lot of Cell Standby battery usage, because the phone is expending more energy trying to latch onto signal. I don't know of any apps that can keep a phone in Airplane Mode and scan intermittently for good signal--maybe Tasker?

mireazma

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for replying, B.
I'm not interested in having the battery history as much as being able to see the signal history and I thought I inadvertently did something to my phone and disabled the history/graph. I suppose there are apps out there to monitor different activities, I'll go check the store.
Time without signal = 0! This is what intrigues me now.
EDIT:
Time on 15h 46m 35s
but here's the trick: my phone began to log like at most 18 hrs ago. OK, 18 -15 = 3 hrs of airplane mode. But I have my phone on airplane mode for at least 8 hrs for sure. WTH is going on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Time without Signal is how long it has no signal at all--so it doesn't count very weak signal, which will still cause battery to drain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae