Slow google services (and facebook) on wifi only.

Travis Marble

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a unique situation that I was wondering if I could get some advice on.

I have looked through the forum and a few people from time to time have had issues with google services being slow when connected to their home wifi network. Most of them suspect throttling on the side of the ISP.

In my case, only android devices are slow to access google services, facebook (and instagram). Windows devices act normal. If I take the android devices off of wifi and back on LTE they work normal. In addition I tried my work WiFi and they work just fine.

Could my ISP be throttling data for specific devices or do I have an issue with my router, etc.

ISP: Comcast Business
Devices: 2 Samsung Galaxy S5 (Lollipop), and 1 Nexus 9 (Lollipop).
Router: Asus RT-N66W

Any advice?

Thanks,
Travis

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Facebook app works fine, but you won't live long enough to see a video finish loading?

Started happening after the KitKat update?

You're using TKIP or TKIP+AES encryption in the router, or it's a newer Linksys or D-Link router?

Change it to AES.

(My new Linksys wouldn't even work that way - I had to buy a $40 Netgear N300 to get it working again. Evidently there's something going on between Android after 4.3 and some newer routers with TKIP. [My old WRT54G worked fine with Android on TKIP+AES.])

mrbubbles00

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a unique situation that I was wondering if I could get some advice on.

I have looked through the forum and a few people from time to time have had issues with google services being slow when connected to their home wifi network. Most of them suspect throttling on the side of the ISP.

In my case, only android devices are slow to access google services, facebook (and instagram). Windows devices act normal. If I take the android devices off of wifi and back on LTE they work normal. In addition I tried my work WiFi and they work just fine.

Could my ISP be throttling data for specific devices or do I have an issue with my router, etc.

ISP: Comcast Business
Devices: 2 Samsung Galaxy S5 (Lollipop), and 1 Nexus 9 (Lollipop).
Router: Asus RT-N66W

Any advice?

Thanks,
Travis

I have the same exact issue with a new Droid Turbo. Google services and certain apps like Reddit Sync lag like crazy over wifi. Over LTE there is no lag.

I have a 6th gen, the newest, Airport Extreme with firmware 7.7.3 (latest) and notice the same slow, laggy performance on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz network.

I've seen reports so far on a lot of newer android devices (4.4.4 and lolipop) including Samsung, HTC, Nexus', and the Droid Turbo with slow wifi performance.

I've tried a factory reset, clearing problematic apps cache, uninstalling and re-installing problematic apps, resetting router/modem, changed my phones wifi profile dhcp to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4, no change in the wireless performance.

Only thing I haven't tried is a new wireless channel on my router. But since both 2.4ghz and 5ghz display the same problem, I ruled that out.

I'm feeling your pain!

Travis Marble

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
It seems to come and go, and is by far worse on my N9 versus the S5. At least the S5 still notifies me of emails, etc. the N9 doesn't anymore.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to figure out if its an ISP thing? I tried a different AP, maybe I will try a different router. Its not an issue at work. At this point I am thinking router, router setting, or ISP.

Travis

Travis Marble

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I think I may have found a solution, at least in my case. I turned ipv6 off on my router and it now works fine. My hypothesis is that it was using ipv6, or at least trying to and failing. For now I will leave it disabled, and try again in a few weeks to see if things work better.

Travis

The70th

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I found that downloading DNSet on my android device has solved the problem on my Galaxy Note 4 (5.0.1). The app turns Ipv6 into Ipv4 and I haven't had any issues since downloading this application.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20