Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Sharing internet via pc/laptop without wifi

Well this is my first post here so please excuse me if there are any mistakes...
    well i was just trying to find out that if there is a way by which we can share ther internet connection that we have on our pc/laptop to our android phone without using wifi....

ie if we can share internet from our pc/laptop to ur android(galaxy 3 in this case) via USB or BLUETOOTH....

like is there is any app that allows this...

i use samsung galaxy 3(GT I5801), android 2.1, unrooted...
    i dnt have a wifi connection on my laptop...
    and my data connection on my android sucks...
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

You can use a tethering app but that's to share you're phones connection with your computer.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

well not tethering... i want to share my laptop's connection over my phone.. just like wifi... but since i dont hav wifi(just plain broadband internet connection) i was looking to share it via bluetooth or via usb
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Only info I could find:

if you root your phone, and you are happy to mess around editing the wireless config files to add an ad-hoc wireless connection. You can then turn on internet connection sharing on your desktop to turn your desktop's wireless connection into an ad-hoc WiFi access point. Once it's all set up you end up with a connection like this: Phone -> Desktop's Wireless card -> Desktop Computer -> Desktop's wired connection -> Router -> Internet You will need two network connections on your desktop to do this (typically a wireless and a wired, and have the wired connected to your router). Alternatively, buy a cheap wireless access point or wireless router. You can then just connect directly to that.

Quote Originally Posted by neo1691 View Post
    i dnt have a wifi connection on my laptop...
    You can always add one via a card or USB.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

so the final conclusion is that there is no simple app available on the earth that allows us to simply share the internet conection on our laptop with our beloved android VIA USB
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

As of now there is no app to simply connect the two. There is no way of sharing a PC connection to Android because there is no ad-hoc support. You need to root your phone and install a custom rom that supports it.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    As of now there is no app to simply connect the two. There is no way of sharing a PC connection to Android because there is no ad-hoc support. You need to root your phone and install a custom rom that supports it.
    well if thats the only solution then i dnt want to root my phone jus now... its been just around two+ months that i hav taken my phone...

till then i'll manage with super slow data connections..

Thanks a lot for your help..!!!!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Lightbulb

Hey guys... i just stumbled upon some article in the newspaper that u can use ur laptop as a wifi router to share internet connection with your mobile devices..!!!!!

is it possible guys..!!!!

i am keepin my fingers crossed
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Exclamation connectify!!

well.. that software is called connectify!!! it converts our laptop to a wireless router itself..!!! thats amazing for people like me who doesn't have a wifi router!!!!

but the disadvantage is that it runs only on windows 7!!!! and i have vista..

can anyone find out an app/software similar to connectify!!!??

well there is one more way of sharing the internet connection on my laptop with other devices..!!!!
    it is called setting up an ad hoc!!!

the steps are explained in the following article-
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2061/...d_hoc_network/

i have managed to set up the ad hoc but the android doesn't seems to catch it!!!

Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    well there is one more way of sharing the internet connection on my laptop with other devices..!!!!
    i have managed to set up the ad hoc but the android doesn't seems to catch it!!!
    Read what @Cyber Warrior said, could have saved yourself some time

You need to install a custom ROM that supports it.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Read what @Cyber Warrior said, could have saved yourself some time

You need to install a custom ROM that supports it.
    thanks a lot.. actually i had read wat cyber warrior had said but at that time it was too much for me to understand.!!!!

well now i am trying to grasp such words like rooting and customs roms..!!!

so there are roms that support ad hoc..!!!had anyone been succcessful in doing that..!???

Unhappy

well.. that software is called connectify!!! it converts our laptop to a wireless router itself..!!! thats amazing for people like me who doesn't have a wifi router!!!!

but the disadvantage is that it runs only on windows 7!!!! and i have vista..

can anyone find out an app/software similar to connectify!!!??

the steps are explained in the following article-
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2061/...d_hoc_network/

the correct link is this: Vista: Set Up an Ad Hoc Network | Microsoft Vista | Tech-Recipes

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

I have a wifi link, which is a USB adaptor that plugs into my laptop. The software lets the adaptor act as a wifi access point. I use it all the time when on photo shoots to transmit photos from my camera to my laptop. It's a very nice way to keep everything portable.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Default Custom rom..??

guys is there any custom rom available that has managed port ad hoc???/

so that we can try to port it..???

Default Sharing internet via pc/laptop without wifi

As long as they are both connected in some way to the same network which yours are then it can be done. All you need to do is setup a network and then setup folder sharing.
    http://www.wellnessstarts.com/nue-sc...gredients.html

Default Re: Sharing internet via pc/laptop without wifi

Want to connect Android mobile to laptop internet by USB cable

Hello,

Do you have any definitive reply about connecting your phone to internet through USB ?

My laptop is using a Wifi that needs USER and PASSWORD to login, and I cannot login on laptop and phone at the same time (only one user can be connected).

Thanks.