Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't use 3G during phone calls....

one month into owning a droid x and i can't complete any operation that requires the 3G network to complete while i'm mid-phone call (ie. send a pic tex, email, browse web, etc.). everything goes back to working normally when i hang up so i know it's not an issue with service.

as this wasn't always the case i'm sure i screwed something up but on the off chance i didn't, has this happened to anyone else?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by LedZep44 View Post
    one month into owning a droid x and i can't complete any operation that requires the 3G network to complete while i'm mid-phone call (ie. send a pic tex, email, browse web, etc.). everything goes back to working normally when i hang up so i know it's not an issue with service.

as this wasn't always the case i'm sure i screwed something up but on the off chance i didn't, has this happened to anyone else?
    This is a limitation of the carrier, i dont know why exactly but you cant use data and talk at the same time.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

so that's standard on all verizon (my carrier) android services? i thought i remembered being able to do that at some point since i had the phone? i mean, wow, that's a HUGE limitation! i can't even use the gps on the maps app if i'm on the phone.....

It is a limitation of the device, not sure if all 3g phones are the same. I can text and talk at the same time but nothing more.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by steveh552 View Post
    It is a limitation of the device, not sure if all 3g phones are the same. I can text and talk at the same time but nothing more.

i have had the Fascinate and the Droid X . my father has the Droid. on non of them have i been able to surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time...i can text and talk but not use the mobile web
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    i have had the Fascinate and the Droid X . my father has the Droid. on non of them have i been able to surf the web and talk on the phone at the same time...i can text and talk but not use the mobile web
    wow...this is big news to me.....i guess i was so wrapped up in getting used to the new device it never occurred to me that this wasn't possible until i got more comfortable with it.

is the iPhone capable of using data while you talk?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Yes because AT&T supports it. But when it comes to verizon it wont be able to

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Yes because AT&T supports it. But when it comes to verizon it wont be able to

hmmm....seems like a huge disadvantage to Verizon customers....now if AT&T would stop dropping calls and get coverage everywhere people live and work.....

thanks so much for your help and info....i really hope this changes at some point......being new to "smart phones" it really feels like a huge flaw....

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It's not just a disadvantage of Verizon, it's a limitation of the CDMA technology. Latest updates to the 1XEVDO technology have opened up simultaneous Data and Voice, but neither Verizon or Sprint ever fully activated the features. You should still be able to send and receive text messages, but you won't be able to do anything that requires actual data (Web browsing, emails, etc). This will be a non-issue with LTE, but for now it still remains.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Ledzep I could be wrong. Perhaps steve is right. If im wrong I dont mind saying it. Ill call or write into the podcast asking them this and see if we can get a definitive answer

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Thanks chris I almost doubted my self for a min there

Edit:.confirmed what I said, my gf has the captivate on AT&T and while I was just on the phone with her she searched using her browser

It is only a limitation of 3g. I have surfed and talked while on 4g wimax and it worked great. Normally talking and using data it texting is not something I do, but I was using the phone as a hotspot and needed to make a call.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It is only a limitation of 3g. I have surfed and talked while on 4g wimax and it worked great. Normally talking and using data it texting is not something I do, but I was using the phone as a hotspot and needed to make a call.

Correct. It's only a limitation of 3G CDMA, both WiMax and LTE support this now.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

i agree you will be able to do it on wimax and LTE ... But the Iphone 3g, Iphone 3GS and my girlfriends Captivate (Android) are all on 3g and are able to talk and data, on their GSM network. so im sorry but it isnt a 3g limitation it is a CDMA network limitation