1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Trying to switch from Palm: Please help!

Hello, I currently own a Palm Pixi but am very interested in switching to Android. Before getting my Pixi, I researched phones for a long time, and I finally decided WebOS was the best option for me, because it seemed simplest and most user-friendly. I got my Pixi for free in June with a two year contract. I heard bad things about Android, like with multi-tasking and some phones not being given updates, so I went with Palm. However, after having my phone for six months and tracking Palm news, I've realized that Android is a much better choice. It has the basic apps I like (Angry Birds in particular), a lot more customization, and I actually like that it's more complex because in this case, it's good because I won't get bored with it. On top of that, Android has a much larger amount of users which is always good to get more apps, accessories, etc. Palm is improving, but it's a slow process, and I heard a lot won't even begin happening until June 2011.

So I'm interested in an Android phone but I have a two-year contract with Verizon. However, I heard that after a year you can get a new phone with a slightly more expensive contract. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, I'm curious about which phone I should get when I am able to get a new one. I'm on Verizon, and I'm looking for the most affordable phone that will still be eligible for many future updates. I like the Sense UI, but I don't really care. I prefer no physical keyboard and a decent sized screen, but pretty much all the Android devices have a good screen compare to my Pixi's, so that's not a big deal. So far I think the HTC Incredible is my best choice, but it's kind of pricey if I would have to get a 1-year contract. Are there any others that would get future updates that are cheaper on Verizon? I'm new to Android, so I'm not really sure how the updates work, and what the requirements are. Thanks!
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post
    Hello, I currently own a Palm Pixi but am very interested in switching to Android. Before getting my Pixi, I researched phones for a long time, and I finally decided WebOS was the best option for me, because it seemed simplest and most user-friendly. I got my Pixi for free in June with a two year contract. I heard bad things about Android, like with multi-tasking and some phones not being given updates, so I went with Palm. However, after having my phone for six months and tracking Palm news, I've realized that Android is a much better choice. It has the basic apps I like (Angry Birds in particular), a lot more customization, and I actually like that it's more complex because in this case, it's good because I won't get bored with it. On top of that, Android has a much larger amount of users which is always good to get more apps, accessories, etc. Palm is improving, but it's a slow process, and I heard a lot won't even begin happening until June 2011.

So I'm interested in an Android phone but I have a two-year contract with Verizon. However, I heard that after a year you can get a new phone with a slightly more expensive contract. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, I'm curious about which phone I should get when I am able to get a new one. I'm on Verizon, and I'm looking for the most affordable phone that will still be eligible for many future updates. I like the Sense UI, but I don't really care. I prefer no physical keyboard and a decent sized screen, but pretty much all the Android devices have a good screen compare to my Pixi's, so that's not a big deal. So far I think the HTC Incredible is my best choice, but it's kind of pricey if I would have to get a 1-year contract. Are there any others that would get future updates that are cheaper on Verizon? I'm new to Android, so I'm not really sure how the updates work, and what the requirements are. Thanks!
    Hi Jessica, welcome to AC.

It's hard to say what will be available in June 2011 for Android, You'll probably be able to get a 4G Android device with around a 4" screen size for between $149 - $199.

Have you thought about ebay in the meantime if you're really dying to switch?
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    Hi Jessica, welcome to AC.

It's hard to say what will be available in June 2011 for Android, You'll probably be able to get a 4G Android device with around a 4" screen size for between $149 - $199.

Have you thought about ebay in the meantime if you're really dying to switch?
    Thanks for replying!

So it is possible to get a new phone a year into a two-year contract? I've researched this but I can't find an exact answer.

Also, if I buy one from eBay, will I be able to use it on my two year contract at any time without any extra fees from taking the Pixi off my plan?

Jessica not sure about the whole two year contract thing with verizon. However I do know that any carrier will allow you to replace a phone on your contract with no additional fees. However, you must make sure it has a clear ESN and that the phone is one that verizon sells. Hope this helps
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by fonefanatic View Post
    Jessica not sure about the whole two year contract thing with verizon. However I do know that any carrier will allow you to replace a phone on your contract with no additional fees. However, you must make sure it has a clear ESN and that the phone is one that verizon sells. Hope this helps
    Thanks! I'll start looking into phones on ebay until I figure out my contract.
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post
    Thanks for replying!

So it is possible to get a new phone a year into a two-year contract? I've researched this but I can't find an exact answer.

Also, if I buy one from eBay, will I be able to use it on my two year contract at any time without any extra fees from taking the Pixi off my plan?
    I think it depends on your plan now, you can call customer service and they will tell you if you're eligible.

Yes, if you buy a phone on eBay you can just go to a verizon store or call them on the phone and switch it on your account within your current contract.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I went on Verizon's website and I found out that if I have a talking plan that is a minimum of $50 a month I can get an upgrade after a year, but it will renew my two year contract. I can actually get one every year for the discounted prices as long as I know I'll stay with Verizon for two years, which I will and I have a family plan with several lines so I qualify. Thanks for your help!

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you have to wait anyway, I'd suggest finding something on ebay or craigslist to use until your upgrade window, then use your upgrade on something really nice that you will enjoy. Anything around $200 will usually be more sturdy and feature rich than the cheaper options. If you want to pay less for your upgrade, wait till these newer phones come out then get a nice deal on something from 2010 like the Droid Incredible or Samsung Fascinate. Good luck!
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by BenSWoodruff View Post
    If you have to wait anyway, I'd suggest finding something on ebay or craigslist to use until your upgrade window, then use your upgrade on something really nice that you will enjoy. Anything around $200 will usually be more sturdy and feature rich than the cheaper options. If you want to pay less for your upgrade, wait till these newer phones come out then get a nice deal on something from 2010 like the Droid Incredible or Samsung Fascinate. Good luck!
    I actually checked and found out I may not have to wait. I was on another account with a lot more of my relatives and all the upgrades got mixed up because some of them took my mom's and my upgrades. My mom wanted to get an upgrade to a Pixi when her first year was up, which should be in January sometime, but when I checked online to find the exact date, I realized her contract wasn't up for about a year and a half. My upgrade date, however, is in September of 2011, so I guess when the upgrades were mixed up, I took someone else's, and they took mine. We recently separated accounts so we have any upgrades on our lines, so now I'm planning on giving my mom my Pixi and using an upgrade to get an Android phone. Now I just have to contact Verizon and make sure they'll let me use the upgrade even though I recently switched the phone on my line.

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

eBay is a good place to find an affordable android phone on Verizon in the meantime. The original Droid should be reasonably priced since it does have a newer version out. The phone is still great for entry use.

Welcome to AC, hope you pick up an Android device

I had a palm pre .....it wasnt hard to make the switch and I was extremely happy ...You will be very happy when you make the switch
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by taguluchi View Post
    I had a palm pre .....it wasnt hard to make the switch and I was extremely happy ...You will be very happy when you make the switch
    I can second this. The difference between the Android phones and the Pre/Pixi is astounding.

I love the Evo.
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I'm glad to hear that it's a good switch from WebOS to Android. At Precentral, Android is described as a horrible OS, but there's weak or no facts backing this opinion up, so now that I'm researching Android more thoroughly than when I first was choosing a smartphone (and picked my Pixi), I'm realizing how great Android is.

By the way, verwon, are you from Precentral? I think I've seen you around there