Why aren't my steps accurate on my Gear Live?

A

AC Question

Steps are not accurate

I love my Gear Live; however, the past couple of weeks, the steps are not measuring accurately. My watch will say I have 600 steps at lunchtime. I'm a teacher and constantly walking all over the school to pick up students. I probably walk more than 600 steps from my car to classroom.
There are some instances when my watch says 900, but when I click "show my steps" later in the day, it will go back to 400-500.
I've tried restarting, shutting down...nothing works.
Please help!!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Steps are not accurate

Pedometers, per se, aren't accurate. Those worn on a wrist (as opposed to an ankle) are even more prone to error - your shoulder absorbs the shock of many of your steps. Even an expensive pedometer, worn on an ankle, will be off by a few percent. A watch that has 20 cents worth of its cost in the pedometer parts? A 10 cent magnetic compass is more accurate.

You're expecting an advertising point to actually work. Whether it does, and how well, depends on a lot of things, one being your body structure (the older and stiffer you are, the better you transmit your steps to the device), so think of it as "night vision" apps - fun, but not accurate.