1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ok Just Got Google Voice

Hi. I tried to search for my answer, but could not find anything.

I just got my personal google voice number and downloaded the app. I have unlimited voice calls to my google number. If I want to make a call from my cell, should I:

1) Call the google voice number from my dialer, enter my password, press 2, then dial the number from my cell phone? What I like about this is that it says "this is a free call". But my question is I have unlimited calls to my google voice number. So any number I call from accessing my google voice through my dialer will not deduct from my plan minutes?

OR

2) Should I just call straight from my contacts, then choose the "call with google voice"? Is it basically doing the same thing as dialing and calling through my google number (option 1)? Does this just bypass calling my google voice number and do it directly from my phone? Will my calls access my google number first and dial from there?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

It's scenario 2 above.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks Cory!

So if I call a contact using the app on my phone, I am not actually dialing a contact, but dialing google voice. Then google voice is dialing the contact, correct?

With that being said, since I have unlimited calling to my google number, dialing the contact through the app will not deduct from my plan minutes?

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS, CM9, iOS

That will not work like that. When you dial using the app like that the server generates a random number for that particular contact, sends it to your phone, your phone then dials that number and the server dials the contact you intended on dialing from your google voice number. The best way to make sure your calls are free are to either do method 1 or log in on a pc and tell it what number to call from your phone. That way you get an incoming call from your google voice number, hence free for you. Hope this helps.
    Old flip phones - HTC Apache - HTC Mogul - Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC EVO 4G - iPhone 4S (current) -Motorola Xoom (current) - HTC EVO 4G LTE (current)

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS, CM9, iOS

If you want to verify, just dial a number from google voice in the dialer. A little message box will tell you the "temp" number your phone is actually dialing to access the google voice server.
    Old flip phones - HTC Apache - HTC Mogul - Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC EVO 4G - iPhone 4S (current) -Motorola Xoom (current) - HTC EVO 4G LTE (current)
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Or you could use .

IIRC there are other apps to automatically dial all outbound calls via your GV number as well. I don't recall the names off the top of my head though. I'll add them to this thread if I run across them though (and remember to follow up).

Quote Originally Posted by endroid54 View Post
    I have unlimited voice calls to my google number.
    So any number I call from accessing my google voice through my dialer will not deduct from my plan minutes?
    Yes, given that you have unlimited calls to your GV number.

Is it basically doing the same thing as dialing and calling through my google number (option 1)?
    Answered above but the short answer is no.

Does this just bypass calling my google voice number and do it directly from my phone?
    You'll have to clarify this question. The GV app doesn't dial your GV number so there's nothing to bypass. All calls are placed directly from your phone. The GV app just uses a routing number to access GV and make it appear as if your calls are from your GV number instead of your cell number.
    Last edited by takeshi; 12-31-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    IIRC there are other apps to automatically dial all outbound calls via your GV number as well. I don't recall the names off the top of my head though. I'll add them to this thread if I run across them though (and remember to follow up).

Yes, given that you have unlimited calls to your GV number.

Answered above but the short answer is no.

You'll have to clarify this question. The GV app doesn't dial your GV number so there's nothing to bypass. All calls are placed directly from your phone. The GV app just uses a routing number to access GV and make it appear as if your calls are from your GV number instead of your cell number.
    Hi, I have some problems with google voice. My GV number doesn't work to give out to clients. Can't call it won't go through. When I call it asks for number wish to dial followed by the pound key. So I can't give out this number as it doesn't work. Also I can call out using GV but the number on the caller ID is my cell number not my google voice number. Not sure what I did wrong or how to fix it. Thanks and have a gr8 day/night.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS, CM9, iOS

Quote Originally Posted by MrsTopkat View Post
    Hi, I have some problems with google voice. My GV number doesn't work to give out to clients. Can't call it won't go through. When I call it asks for number wish to dial followed by the pound key. So I can't give out this number as it doesn't work. Also I can call out using GV but the number on the caller ID is my cell number not my google voice number. Not sure what I did wrong or how to fix it. Thanks and have a gr8 day/night.
    When you set up google voice did you select a number or did you click the prompt for set up my voicemail?