Running updates

dexterlou123

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I am in no way a technical gal, so i may not make much since with this question but i'll try my best......... I have an LG ally wich has the android software i have recently rooted and tethered my phone for wifi capability and although i read it wasn't illegal, it does void your warranty, which is fine but i have this window that keeps popping up now asking me to update now or update later. It doesnt give me a version number only that my phone won't work for like five minutes while the update is being completed. If i run this update will it wipe out my wifi and anything else that might be questionable on my phone or is it some kind of virus? im pretty sure its a ligit update, i just dont want to loose all my hard work!

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am in no way a technical gal, so i may not make much since with this question but i'll try my best......... I have an LG ally wich has the android software i have recently rooted and tethered my phone for wifi capability and although i read it wasn't illegal, it does void your warranty, which is fine but i have this window that keeps popping up now asking me to update now or update later. It doesnt give me a version number only that my phone won't work for like five minutes while the update is being completed. If i run this update will it wipe out my wifi and anything else that might be questionable on my phone or is it some kind of virus? im pretty sure its a ligit update, i just dont want to loose all my hard work!

The golden rule of being rooted is to never accept a software update!

Uncle Spellbinder

Dec 27, 2010
www.facebook.com
Am I correct in the assumption that accepting an update while rooted only eliminates the root while the update goes smoothly?

At least that's what I've read. If that is the case, then rooting is quite simple, and rooting again should be no issue.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, please.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Am I correct in the assumption that accepting an update while rooted only eliminates the root while the update goes smoothly?

At least that's what I've read. If that is the case, then rooting is quite simple, and rooting again should be no issue.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, please.

Sometimes the update will patch whatever hole is used for the root, making re-rooting impossible until another way is found. This doesn't happen all the time, but its best just to go find a rooted version of the update and flash that.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Accepting an OTA will always remove root, and as previously mentioned, might patch the security hole that was exploited for root access on the previous version. Although it looks like that Ally thread states that z4root still works on the latest OTA- you definitely wanna read through the last few days of posts to see what works and what doesnt.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol