How can I move applications on my Android to an SD card?

A

AC Question

my applications on my android phone can not be moved to SD card

I bought an android phone last month, when I download my interested applications it keeps telling insufficient space. when I try to move my application to SD card, they cant be moved. please help

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: my applications on my android phone can not be moved to SD card

Apps generally can't be moved to the SD card anymore without some sort of workaround. Even if you could, it still has to leave some app data in internal storage to run properly. The amount of data that can be moved varies between apps, so you may not get much space back anyway.

I keep my apps stored internally and move my media (pics, video, music, etc) to the external card.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: my applications on my android phone can not be moved to SD card

Whether an app can be moved to the SD card depends on how the app was written. With more and more apps being "written" by people who don't know how to write apps, and use app-writing apps to make their apps, you're going to see fewer and fewer apps that can run from the SD card. From now on, it's "buy a phone with enough internal storage for all the apps you'll need, and upgrade when you need a larger phone".

Google was never designed to run apps from the SD card (and actually doesn't. Parts of the app are moved to the card, but there's a link left in internal storage, where Android looks for that part, pointing to where it is on the card. It's kind of like a shortcut, which isn't the program, it's a pointer to the program.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674