Cleaning up memory? Do u do it? How often?

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
on my blackberry if I cleaned the memory on my device it would run faster and wouldn't eat email and text messages etc. is this bedded on the droids? I have a droid x since july and have never cleaned it memory wise.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
on my blackberry if I cleaned the memory on my device it would run faster and wouldn't eat email and text messages etc. is this bedded on the droids? I have a droid x since july and have never cleaned it memory wise.

How's the X running for you? I'd say if it ain't broken don't fix it.

-- There are few ways to clean up some memory though, you can clear and apps cache & data if you want to, you can erase the system cache if you're rooted, etc. You could do a hard reset of the whole device and re-install everything.. there's a lot that can be done, it's my experience though that usually your device will run fine for quite a while.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The two better methods would be to reboot/reset the phone. However, occasionally clearing cache, history, and cookies is a huge plus too.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not aware that resetting the phone erase's any of the phone's cache data?
Resetting the phone clears out everthing on the device... now the big question would be is >> what method of resetting are we talking about. A full complete or a device reset?

tritan

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use handcent, dolphin browser, and wonder if clearing recent calls list and missed calls etc help? I have around 5gb of internal memory how much should you have?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I use handcent, dolphin browser, and wonder if clearing recent calls list and missed calls etc help? I have around 5gb of internal memory how much should you have?

Every little helps... maybe not in a significant or noticeable way.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Whenever my x gets any lag it is usually due to the browser cache. I was in the habit of keeping the browser cleaned up on my bb so I tend to do the same. If you are but having any lag issues I would leave well enough alone.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Here is my process to keep my fascinate running smoothly:

-clear the browser cache about every other use.
-Use "history eraser" to clean out call logs, etc about once a week
-Clean app cache every other week.
-About every 1-2 weeks I go through and delete unused apps I have downloaded to try that I don't use.
-Reboot the phone or clear non-excluded apps about every 3 days or if it starts lagging.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Android is not as dependent on this as BB is though. I had to sim a battery pull almost every day on my old BB Tour pos. I think android is much more forgiving on caching, but 1ghz processors and 512 ram versus a 512mhz processor an 256 ram makes the big difference in even current BBs and mist android devices.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted I use CacheMate (free and paid versions avail.) to auto clear my cache from a variety of apps, including the browser. The paid version includes hundreds more caches than the free version. I set it to auto clear every 2 days. A simple reboot (power off and then on) once a week also helps keep things running smoothly.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Here is my process to keep my fascinate running smoothly:

-clear the browser cache about every other use.
-Use "history eraser" to clean out call logs, etc about once a week
-Clean app cache every other week.
-About every 1-2 weeks I go through and delete unused apps I have downloaded to try that I don't use.
-Reboot the phone or clear non-excluded apps about every 3 days or if it starts lagging.

Good God.... get a new phone cause you have something wrong! Evo: Never reboot it. Never clear anything. Never lags.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Not that I necessarily have to do all of it but old habits from when I had a BB Tour. Figure it can't hurt.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've beed using the app(app2sd) which when u open it will adivsed u how memory is in ur caches and if you want to clear them....so u can clear them all at once or one at a time....seems to get me running with little to no lag at all.......guess its one of those"to each his own" things

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
It's only really an issue if you're running out of storage space. Take a look and see what's available. Keep in mind that storage space and RAM are 2 different things. Cleaning up storage space won't have much effect on your device's speed. Apps may run a bit better if cache is cleared bu it really depends on the specific apps in question.

If you're experiencing lag you may want to look into what's using up your CPU as well.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I clean the browser history and cache about once a week. Also have an app called History Eraser that I use. Android runs different then a BB so you really dont have to go crazy cleaning up the phone. As a ex BB user I know.....I had a ritual of clearing the browser, event log, caches, memory and rebooting the phone all the time....those days are over.:p