What is a USB Type C?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: what is a USB Type C?

I believe that it is a type of USB connector that connects either way up.

Posted via the Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: what is a USB Type C?

USB Type C is a reversible connector that is also supposed to be more robust and be able to provide more power (Apple is using it as the charging port for their new 12" Macbook Retina. However, the new cables won't work with old devices unless you source an adapter. Even APPLE has to sell an adapter so you can connect an iPhone to the aforementioned Macbook, and that adapter is $20 for straight USB-C to USB or $80 if you want to be able to charge the Macbook and plug in a USB device at the same time. USB-C is also going to support more protocols, Apple's more expensive adapter has an HDMI port on it.

Here are a few links I found with a quick Google search.

USB Type-C Explained: What It Is and Why You’ll Want it This one sensationalizes it a bit in the picture, one of the connectors is a mini-HDMI, 2 of the connectors are the same cable just different ends and one is an extension cable. However, I think the point is that for full-size devices like printers you won't need to worry about which end is plugging into the device or the computer as they'll be the same, and you may not need the mini-HDMI cable as USB-C will support that also. There is going to have to be a phone-size spec for this though, the port is a bit big for that application.

USB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is the general USB Wikipedia page but it has USB C on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair