What are alternatives to Android?

A

AC Question

what are alternatives to android?

I'm totally fed up with Google/android.

There are typically over 50 pieces of crap (mostly) running on the backround draining the battery. Currently, last less than 4 hours.

I have battery doctor...a mirage.

I pay my choice what should run based on what I NEED.

Don't shop Walmart or have cable...LOL.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: what are alternatives to android?

There are typically over 50 pieces of crap (mostly) running on the backround draining the battery. Currently, last less than 4 hours.

Hello. I don't understand some of the comments. If you want help solving the battery issue, help and advice is available.
Battery Doctor, Clean Master, anti-virus will not help, are mostly counter productive and are not needed. Though you can re-install anti malware or ad blockers later if you wish.
Many OEM and Google apps can be disabled. Obviously Android needs several processes running in the background to work.
Batteries can deteriorate. There are battery and data usage graphs you can post here to help isolate issues, as well as turning off sync items you don't need.
Everyone uses devices differently. You may be a game fiend with a 5 year old device and a 1000 mah battery, we don't know

Most of the posters in each device forum are generally happy with battery performance, and when there are issues they can offen be identified with a particular update or overcome.

There are excellent Windows, iPhone and Blackberry devices, just as there are with Android. Android can be infuriating, you don't have to preach that to me (for one), but it's easy to become obsessed with a small issue and overlook something that can fix it. That's why these forums are useful.

Come back for 'advice with your device', or good luck if you change.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Did you try reloading the device? Clear out the junk and any apps that might be running in the background? Is your battery removable? If so, replacing it might help as batteries start to loose their charge quicker as time goes on?

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Without more details, it's hard to diagnose what may be going on in your particular phone. If you just don't like the Android environment, then I hope you find something more suitable to your needs. If you want to explore and see if you actually have a problem that can be solved, then read this article.

http://m.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

Basically, ram uses the same amount of power whether it's holding data or not and Android is designed to take advantage of this. By keeping apps dormant in ram, it's not using any extra power and saves battery life by not using extra CPU power to initialize it every time you open your more common apps. Having ram close to full is a good thing!

Battery managers, task killers, memory optimizers, et al are counter productive because they try to fight the design of how Android manages ram. When they kill dormant "unused" apps, the OS will automatically reload it or another app in the background to fill the empty ram. Every time an app is loaded in the background, it'll use extra battery life in doing so. This is hard set in the OS and can't be changed without rooting and changing things at the system level that may be beyond your skill level. Memory managing apps actually decrease your battery life by killing apps, and current versions of Android are pretty good at managing background apps on their own.

That alone may or may not be the reason you're only getting 4 hours battery life. My battery can last ask day with light usage, or I can drain it in a few hours with some heavy gaming. So usage can play a huge role in life too.

Sync'ing can also play a big role. Yes, apps can lay dormant in the background, but you'd be surprised how many are designed to do work. Pretty much any online messaging service, email apps, weather apps, and a myriad of other apps may all be setup to check for messages and updates from their respective servers even though you're not actively using them. Many times they will have options about when and how often to sync.

Then of course the battery itself could just be defective or going bad. Age would be one factor, but draining a battery completely and/or leaving it plugged in after it's fully charged can both kill a battery prematurely. If you've done everything you can to decrease consumption (limiting app sync, lowering your phone usage, removing Battery Doctor, using Wi-Fi whenever possible, etc) and you still get very little time on a charge, then it's most likely the battery is on its way out. If it's removable, check to see if it's puffed up any. Lay it on a flat surface and spin it. If it continues to spin on its own, then it's swollen even if not immediately visible, and the damage is already done. Replacing it and being mindful of how you charge it should give you more life. If you are a heavy user, there may be larger battery options for your phone do you get more life on a charge at the expense of some added weight and size. Most people suggest charging it once you get around 40%. Letting it drop very low or leaving it fully charged cause a chemical reaction that lowers capacity. That's why new phones and batteries are shipped with a partial, "storage" charge.

Hopefully this helps you out.