[How-to]Fix Failed to get adb version,For screen capture thru SDK (windows 7)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
When trying to set up Dalvik Debug monitor (ddms) for screen shots in windows 7 you go to the SDk folder and go to the tools folder hit the ddms batch file and you are up and ready to take some screen shots. But sometimes (so far only on windows 7 that ive heard) you get an error in the cmd box that looks like this (Failed to get adb version)

pic.png

ddms cannot find adb path it needs, so here is how we fix it:

ok first you need to find the path to your platform-tools folder and copy it,
for example mine is :
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
5.png
6.png

paste this in a note pad or word.

then go to "my computer" or "computer" from the start button, right click and select properties>select advanced system settings>click the advanced tab at the top>then click enviroment variables
1-1.png

3-1.png

you will see two windows, you want the one that says System variables> scroll down till you see "Path" >then click the edit.. button
2.png

a new window will pop up "edit system variable"
in the second text window "Variable value"

4.png

you will see a long string of paths,,, at the very end of it all add a semicolon ";" and then the path that i had you copy earlier
so for example if the end of this string looked like this

C:\Program Files\VISA\WinNT\Bin\

it will now look like this

C:\Program Files\VISA\WinNT\Bin\;C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

now just click OK till all the windows are closed,,,,go hit the DDMS thing
and you are off and running

Reactions: tropper

Jane

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I have got the exact problem with running DDMS.dat. I followed the solutions and work perfectly in my Windows XP now. Thank you so much!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have got the exact problem with running DDMS.dat. I followed the solutions and work perfectly in my Windows XP now. Thank you so much!

So glad it helped , even if one person found this useful it was worth it. have fun and enjoy , hope to see some screen shots.

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
SDK keeps giving me a warning that Java is not in my path whenever i exit out of the SDK and AVD Manager which i did infact add it's location into my path, in the black command terminal i cannot type anything the line just stays put flashing, the phone does show in my device manager but not under ADB it shows "Android USB Devices" and under that "My HTC" earlier i had ADB showing in device manager but wouldnt recognize device under it that was before i installed USB drivers from HTC's website
any advice would be appreciated who woulda figured getting ADB working properly would be seemingly more of a hassle than rooting process itself i'm Using Win 7 x64

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
SDK keeps giving me a warning that Java is not in my path whenever i exit out of the SDK and AVD Manager which i did infact add it's location into my path, in the black command terminal i cannot type anything the line just stays put flashing, the phone does show in my device manager but not under ADB it shows "Android USB Devices" and under that "My HTC" earlier i had ADB showing in device manager but wouldnt recognize device under it that was before i installed USB drivers from HTC's website
any advice would be appreciated who woulda figured getting ADB working properly would be seemingly more of a hassle than rooting process itself i'm Using Win 7 x64

Please try following this thread and see if you can get a connection this way
http://forum.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/56697-how-quick-adb.html

Reactions: blizz419

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
my man i think you just solved my problem, my question now is was i doing it completely wrong before? what i was reading before didn't tell me to use CMD where the full SDK had what looked like its own command terminal just didnt work, yet 1st try with quick ADB and CMD and it sees my phone ran reboot command to test it and vola my phone rebooted so looks like everything is ready to run through root later today

Edit: now were am i sending that Macchiato lol

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
my man i think you just solved my problem, my question now is was i doing it completely wrong before? what i was reading before didn't tell me to use CMD where the full SDK had what looked like its own command terminal just didnt work, yet 1st try with quick ADB and CMD and it sees my phone ran reboot command to test it and vola my phone rebooted so looks like everything is ready to run through root later today

Edit: now were am i sending that Macchiato lol

the full SDK is a pain in the butt , what is it that you are going to attempt to do?

Edit: i think its because you need to set enviroments to the JDK tools aswell, the same way you did with the SDK tools from this thread

Edit: ok so here is what you have to do to set the enviroment variables for java

from the start button on your task bar go to computer>C: drive>programs>java>JRE6(or whatever version you have)>bin
then copy the path and follow the directions above to put it in your enviroment variables

Last edited:

blizz419

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
the full SDK is a pain in the butt , what is it that you are going to attempt to do?

Edit: i think its because you need to set enviroments to the JDK tools aswell, the same way you did with the SDK tools from this thread

Edit: ok so here is what you have to do to set the enviroment variables for java

from the start button on your task bar go to computer>C: drive>programs>java>JRE6(or whatever version you have)>bin
then copy the path and follow the directions above to put it in your enviroment variables

i had done that before i posted this and it kept saying same thing about java i did read somewhere if i reinstall the SDK and it goes to a screen asking me to install java and i hit back it will find it next time i'm not sure if i should even bother though since using your quick ADB/CMD method seemed to find my phone 1st time flawlessly unless it's unwise to root from quick ADB and i need to use the SDK's ADB for some reason

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i had done that before i posted this and it kept saying same thing about java i did read somewhere if i reinstall the SDK and it goes to a screen asking me to install java and i hit back it will find it next time i'm not sure if i should even bother though since using your quick ADB/CMD method seemed to find my phone 1st time flawlessly unless it's unwise to root from quick ADB and i need to use the SDK's ADB for some reason

its fine as long as you lead it to the quick adb folder