Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default songs out of order?

I've read a few forums, nobody knows the answer. I upload my music, and my stuff is out of order on my phone.

Is the only answer really to change the title of EVERY song to 01, 02, 03...?

That seems totally ridiculous for a smartphone to not be able to recognize something like that. All the tags are perfect, I've checked.

Any way to do this to get the back into the original order?

oh, also, I don't want to have to change music players to do it. Just hoping for a "you're doing this wrong" type of answer...

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

what phone do you , have, what player are you using, are they playing random or alphabetical, ? more details please
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    AC Adviser

Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    Pure Google

Ya im with DroidXcon I need more details to help you with this issue. Thanks.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

On my DX the songs always show alpha order. Never bothered me cause I always use a playlist or shuffel. I does make it easier to find songs though.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

droidx, I've used maybe ten different players. Mainly cubed, doubletwist, MUIU, TTPod, meridian, winamp, I used the trial for poweramp (don't remember if they were out of order or not though... not paying 5 bucks for a music player so it doesn't matter).

Unrooted.

use doubletwist to sync to phone.

Playing in alpha is useful for some, and really silly for others. While you play in shuffle, so it's irrelevant (and kind of handy), for me, I never listen to music unless I know I can listen to an album all the way through (slight exaggeration, but you get the idea). Having the songs out of order is crazy for people who like to listen to the story the artist has composed and written. Can you imagine listening to Pink Floyd's "The Wall" in random order? Defeats the purpose.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

edit: and it seems as though they are showing in random order, though some are alphabetical.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

What phone is this. I just played two albums in order. This is pretty interesting

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

hm. It's a droid x, unrooted, on the latest update.

For what it's worth, to add more confusion, I do remember things being in order at one point, otherwise I would have complained a long time ago. What do you use to sync? Also, I do mean in correct album order... I can play the first one in the album, and it will play through the last no problem... but they aren't actually in the correct album order as per the natural way it was released.

They don't even show up in order. They're random, or in alphabetical. I've searched some forums on other sites and have read quite a few others that have the problem, and never seem to come across a solution.

Are these songs and albums you converted to digital format from CDs using iTunes? I know a lot of people who have the same issue you are describing when they did that.
    You can observe a lot by watching- Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by irish22022 View Post
    That seems totally ridiculous for a smartphone to not be able to recognize something like that. All the tags are perfect, I've checked.
    That's odd. Most apps rely on the tag data. How are you viewing the files? Are you sure you're viewing by album if you're expecting them in that order? Are you sure the track numbers are correct in your tags? Are you checking files on both the phone and the PC?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

okay, I've found some common ground in the out of order albums, for the record:

Most of them were in fact taken from a CD, to iTunes, and then to android through doubletwist. It took me a while to find this, because I actually downloaded most of the albums (on the DL), so I had no clue. But I got in touch with one of the people and they told me they bought the CD. And several of the other ones are ones that I personally bought the hard copy of.

However, in Itunes, when clicking "more info", it does have all the proper track listing info, BUT there are no id3 tags. Which is interesting. After more research, I found that going from hard copy to itunes doesn't necessarily require id3 tags, which means, that if you're using itunes to import cd's, and then going through doubletwist or whatever to get to android, it's entirely possible that there are no tags attached, which then means the music player will default to alphabetical.

SO, moral of the story, I'm going to have to manually edit the tags through the music player, or doubletwist, so they will be in the correct order. The iPod doesn't have this issue, because it's simply an extension of iTunes, so it can make it's own "temporary" tags to match what's been put in iTunes.

Just thought I'd post my findings for any people that are searching google and come across this forum.

EDIT: not even editing the tags works. I'm just out of luck. Kind of a huge joke that android can't handle hard copy CD's put through iTunes. Certainly the biggest flaw, and biggest embarrassment I've found.
    Last edited by irish22022; 01-20-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irish22022 View Post
    droidx, I've used maybe ten different players. Mainly cubed, doubletwist, MUIU, TTPod, meridian, winamp, I used the trial for poweramp (don't remember if they were out of order or not though... not paying 5 bucks for a music player so it doesn't matter).

Unrooted.

use doubletwist to sync to phone.

Playing in alpha is useful for some, and really silly for others. While you play in shuffle, so it's irrelevant (and kind of handy), for me, I never listen to music unless I know I can listen to an album all the way through (slight exaggeration, but you get the idea). Having the songs out of order is crazy for people who like to listen to the story the artist has composed and written. Can you imagine listening to Pink Floyd's "The Wall" in random order? Defeats the purpose.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

edit: and it seems as though they are showing in random order, though some are alphabetical.
    I am not sure if this will work, but somebody with the same problem told me if you want to play the songs on an album in order hard press on the album and choose play and it will play it in order despite what order it is displaying.

If this works it will solve the issue with playing the songs on an album out of order. I cannot guarantee this will work as I am just going by what I was told... not from my personal experience.
    You can observe a lot by watching- Yogi Berra