Android user looking for the best applications in a bunch of different categories, where can I find them?

A

AC Question

New Android User Looking for the best applications in a bunch of different categories

Hello I am a current iOS user looking to switch everything to android. I used to use android when I had a Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. I was rooted and had custom roms at the time. I plan to wait for the One Plus Two and Surface Pro 4 to come out and make the switch. I am currently looking for the best applications for the platform as I am making a list for the all the ones I want to install. I will be rooted so add those too. I will list some basic categories so you can have a good idea of the types of apps but feel free to list apps outside the categories that I may not know of:
* calendar app
* mail app
* sports app
* twitter app
* widgets (calendar, sports, weathe, etc)
* launchers
* root specific apps
* games
* reddit app
* workout app
* movie app
* music app
* Xposed modules
* ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF
Thank you so much I am very excited to be switching back!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: New Android User Looking for the best applications in a bunch of different categories

Welcome to Android Central!

For calendar, my wife uses Business Calendar Pro, which is pretty powerful.

Best app for general sports scores is still Yahoo Sports for me, but the interface is pretty boring (and not yet updated to Material Design).

My favorite clock widget is DIGI Clock, primarily because it lets you use your own custom fonts.

MX Player is an excellent video player.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: New Android User Looking for the best applications in a bunch of different categories

* calendar app
That depends on what you need. Business Calendar, Jorte, Cozi
* mail app
Personal preference. There are lot of free ones - try them and decide which one you like best.
* widgets (calendar, sports, weathe, etc)
Same thing - personal choice.
* launchers
Nova.
* root specific apps
Depends on what you do. Terminal and Programmer's Keyboard if you're going to be digging in Linux.
* movie app
MX Player.
* Xposed modules
Again - depends on what you need. Notify Clean? Wanam?
* ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF
The Play Store. Spend month just looking at all the free apps. Oh - Appstore from Amazon and Free App Notifier. And App Gratis for free app of the day from the play store.

Fedginator

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site

Google calendar
Gmail and cloudmagic
Bleacher Report team stream
(Don't use Twitter)
Super clock widget, Google calender widget, Google now widget, gmail widget
Nova
Flashify, Tom Toolbox pro, xposed, supersu
Does not commute, 1 dot, does, Swing copters
(Don't use reddit)
(nor workout)
Most galleries have a movie player in them, plus netflix and Google play Movies and tv
Cyanogenmod eleven player, apollo
All notifications expanded, burnt toast, copy toast, how carrier label, lollistat, native freezer, remove battery saver warning color, statusbar download progress, tinted recents panels, youtube adaway, youtube background playback
Contacts +

Posted via the Android Central App