Converted BBerry user not liking the Galaxy S

pattonshannon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I am a former BBerry user that decided to upgrade to the Galaxy S. Need help with the following:

How do I get Email to work? Specifically, Outlook and Hotmail.

No so thrilled with my Android experience.........

pattonshannon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link - article is good. I can use Gmail to push my other accounts. Now, is there any way to choose which account I send email from? BBerry would allow you to choose if you wanted to send a message from my personal email address instead of business email....suggestions??

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure if this will affect messages sent from your phone, but there is an option on Gmail to set this. If you go to Gmail from a computer, go to settings on the top right, then go to Accounts and Import. From there you can change what you send your email as (as in what account it will send from).

Reactions: pattonshannon

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I am a former BBerry user that decided to upgrade to the Galaxy S. Need help with the following:

Also check out a couple third party e-mail apps: Touchdown (now called Exchange for Android I think), and K-9 Mail.

TouchDown? Features

Exchange for Android 2.x - Android app on AppBrain

K-9 Mail - Android app on AppBrain

What BB did you have? And what is it about Android that is giving you a poor experience?

pattonshannon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the Curve...loved the email and hated the web browsing and screen size. I love my Android to surf the web but as far as email - the Android has not been able to compete with my old Curve. I use Outlook but not Exchange and I use Hotmail...
I miss the ability to get email messages almost instantly and I miss the ability to go to one place to compose a message and then choose which account to send it from.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Outlook doesn't mean anything in this context. Your device doesn't pull mail from Outlook. It pulls mail directly from the mail server. Additionally, Outlook supports a number different types of email accounts. If you can specify the type of account we can assist.

If you expect Android to work just like the BB did you'll be disappointed. IMO, the far greater versatility of Android beats anything that the BB did that Android doesn't. Obviously, YMMV.

I love my Android to surf the web but as far as email - the Android has not been able to compete with my old Curve. I use Outlook but not Exchange and I use Hotmail...
You must have been a BIS user. I have an Exchange account and I definitely prefer my Droid with ActiveSync (and Touchdown) over a Blackberry with BES. Even with BES, BB email is only pushed and reconciled. With ActiveSync I have true sync.

IIRC Hotmail does offer ActiveSync now. Look for an email app that support ActiveSync. You'll need to Google the Hotmail ActiveSync settings if you want Hotmail pushed to your device. As for your other account, again, we need to know the account type. If push isn't available you might be able to forward to a push account. There's really no BIS equivalent in the Android world. There are pros and cons to each approach but without BIS at least you're not at the mercy of RIM's outages.

I miss the ability to get email messages almost instantly and I miss the ability to go to one place to compose a message and then choose which account to send it from.
Android doesn't preclude that possibility. Find an email app that supports all the email accounts that you have. K9 might be a possibility for you.

Also check out a couple third party e-mail apps: Touchdown
Outlook != Exchange. Always make sure that the OP specifically mentions Exchange before recommending an Exchange client like Touchdown.

Last edited:

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Outlook != Exchange. Always make sure that the OP specifically mentions Exchange before recommending an Exchange client like Touchdown. That said, IIRC Hotmail does now offer ActiveSync so the OP could use ActiveSync for Hotmail if push is desired.

Good point, thanks. Usually however, users only know of it as "Outlook" and have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I had seven e-mail accounts on my BlackBerry when I was using it. It was nice to have the unified message box and to be able to choose which account to send from once creating the e-mail.

Now, I'm still using the default GMail app (and have one personal POP3 account merged into the GMail account - seems to work better for that one account).

For the other accounts, I have switched to K-9 Mail. It gives me a unified inbox for all accounts, plus I can go into each account separately if I so choose. I can't create a message, then select an account to send from (it will select the account I set as default instead), but I can go into any of the e-mail account and create a message, so I'm happy with that app.

I was also checking out MailDroid. It has a lot of the same features as K-9 Mail, and is supposed to match up as a nice GMail client replacement, so it could be a good app for all accounts. K-9 Mail has the ability to print email (through PrinterShare - non-HTML messages), so I've chosen that app for now. MailDroid keeps getting some very nice updates, and pretty quickly as well.

I haven't tried Gmail through K-9 Mail, but so far, having the two apps for email has worked well for me.

----

Some of the tweaks I've done to my Mesmerize have helped with the transition from BlackBerry to Android:
  • Added the Bedside app to give my SGS bedside mode.
  • Added Quick Profiles so I can switch profile settings quickly.
  • Added NoLED so I have notifications dots on my screen (since the SGS doesn't have a notification LED). I even have different colors for each email account.

Reactions: pattonshannon

pattonshannon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for your assistance! It is hard to explain what was so wonderful about BB mail to someone who has never used it! I will try Droid Mail and see how that works. K-9 mail does NOT work with Hotmail - which is an account I rely on. I will try NoLED as well as I miss the notifications. I will also try quick profiles. Thanks again for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma