Default numbers

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Can anybody help me with this issue? I seem to be able to select only 1 default number for a contact. Then this is used for calling and texting. I do not seem to be able to set different default numbers for sms/call.

Once this is set, how do I change it? Seems there are no options in contact>edit.

Also even if I set a default sms number, it uses this only from the contacts app. If I go to the messaging app and add contact from there, again it asks me to select which no. How can I remember which no. all the time?

Also where is groups in contact? I see no icon for groups or when adding new contact. Seems I can only do in google contacts on PC, sync and then menu>display>select group and unselect others. So from sms app, sending group sms is very difficult as it all the time asks for no., even if default is set.

Maybe way around is having contact shortcuts in folder groups, but how many to set and how to select at one shot for group sms? Use another sms app?

Am I doing something wrong? Coming from symbian, this I am finding very awkward. Even the basic nokia s40 had easy contact with icon for number type as well, instead of generic green phone receiver icon all built into OS.

Please help.

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Bump... Is there no way to do this?

Also is there no way to display different icons for different types of phone numbers - mobile, work, home, etc.? in any list to choose easily? All seem to have the same green handset receiver icon.

If not, where can I put in feature requests?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the droid x, and you can label numbers. Should be similar on your phone. Go to contacts> menu> edit. Once there you should see a green + sign. Select that to add a number. Input the number then long press on the label to change it to "work"," home"," mms" or other selection.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
As far as creating groups. Go to the contacts screen and select the menu key. You will see a key called "Display Group", once there you can create a new group or select any existing groups you have created.

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I can do all that and I get the labels fine. But if I tap a contact, the info with the numbers is in tiny font with large green similar icons for call and sms. Why can there not be different icon types for the different phone number types?

And I cannot set different default numbers for call and sms. And if I do set a default number, in the sms app, it does not auto select it. It only does this from the contact app.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe the only way you can change the system fonts is if you "root" your phone. I am not sure about the icons, but I would imagine you can change those as well if "rooted".

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
As far as creating groups. Go to the contacts screen and select the menu key. You will see a key called "Display Group", once there you can create a new group or select any existing groups you have created.

Thanks, but I do not have that. I have display options and from there I can select only the groups set up in google contacts to display. I have no small group icon in contacts at all. There is no group option in edit contact either, whether I select PC Sync or Google as the contact type. I have to assign contacts to different groups in google contacts on the PC only.

So in symbian for group sms to group 'A':

Tap shortcut to new message on homescreen
Tap '+' to add contacts, contacts app opens with group icon
Tap group icon, list of groups displayed
Tap group to select, all done.

In Android:
Tap shortcut to new message on homescreen
Tap '+' to add contacts, contacts app opens - no group icon
Press menu key for options
Tap display options, scroll down / expand google a/c contacts
Tap group to display
Tap all other groups to disable display
From the group contacts displayed press menu again
Select multi-select from options for the entire group
Then select number for sms for each contact (remember I cannot set different default number for sms)
Then back key to complete.

This can be really painful when you have large number of contacts in a group.

I guess handcent or chomp sms may allow this, but does it have feature of accepting google groups and different default number for sms?

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I believe the only way you can change the system fonts is if you "root" your phone. I am not sure about the icons, but I would imagine you can change those as well if "rooted".

Probably, but this is basic stuff - all there on $50 (without contract) phones. It should be there oob.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Everyone has differing opinions on what is and what isn't "basic". It's a bit pointless to say that something should be included. Development resources are always finite and things will always be left out.

$50 non-contract phones may have a particular feature but, obviously, you're not using them because they're missing the countless features that smartphones offer.

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
And I forgot to add in my above steps that once you are done, you need to again go into contacts>display options>google contacts> select all to get back the default contacts display.

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Everyone has differing opinions on what is and what isn't "basic". It's a bit pointless to say that something should be included. Development resources are always finite and things will always be left out.

$50 non-contract phones may have a particular feature but, obviously, you're not using them because they're missing the countless features that smartphones offer.

I would think that for a smart mobile phone OS, basic would include almost all features for managing contacts, phone number and messaging that basic (or other smart) phones have had for ages. Then one can add e-mail, browsing, BT, GPS, games, etc. and/or ways to do basic or advanced stuff better.

There are many times (certain group / sports events, etc.) that require group texting. It is not that everybody must be on FB.

That is why I asked if what I was doing is basically a wrong way of doing it - is there something silly me is missing? Or are there apps that can get IMO my 'basic' functionality? If not where can I post about feature requests.

Please don't get me wrong here, I am never going back to symbian (I have had it with Nokia) and I can see only android improving.

Edit: It does appear that one of handcent's features is easy group texting. I will try it out and hopefully at least the group texting issue will get sorted out.

Re: the default numbers, I guess ATM it is better to set the default number as sms than for call, since one usually always texts to a mobile or 1 number, but a call can be to other numbers as well.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2