The new Google Photos are still using cloud drive storage.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I uploaded pictures many months ago onto Google Drive and of course they were larger that 2048 x 2048 so they counted as drive storage. Well today Google announced that only photos over 16 mp would count. Well with all my photos uploaded the highest I have are 12 mp or under and they still count towards my drive storage. As you can see from the picture before I am still not getting unlimited storage.

Attachments

• 2015-05-28_191621.png
    2015-05-28_191621.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 12

Leob19

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I guess it might take some time to adjust.

I also uploaded pictures a while ago (40ish GB) on drive, and my G+ that has all auto-backup photos from my phone (an 8 Mpx camera) is still using 5GB as you can see, nothing changed yet, but I would expect it to change soon. Not sure if files uploaded in a drive folder still count towards the Quota.

Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 5.18.45 PM.png

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I think that Google is pulling a fast one as I uploaded yesterday a few photos way under 16mp and now my storage limit went up to 8.0.2 GB.

All I know is when Amazon mentioned that Prime members get free unlimited photo storage right away as I had photos on there before I saw right then that it did not use any storage then I searched and found out they added unlimited storage to Prime members.

Last edited:

xeothought

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm very happy that someone else noticed this. Have you managed to sort it out? I changed the upload quality in the photos settings to high res/free unlimited.... but I'm still getting each photo counted towards my storage.

I'm uploading via Picasa from my desktop - would that be an issue do you think?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I changed the upload quality in the photos settings to high res/free unlimited.... but I'm still getting each photo counted towards my storage.
I did the same thing and it still uses drive service. I am not going to worry about it most as I only used 48% out of my 17GB (I got a extra 2GB updating my security settings earlier this year). I also don't take a lot of pictures anyway but I am still irritated that Google lied when they said unlimited storage and that not one useless tech blogger even mentioned that they are not getting unlimited storage.

If anything I also have Amazon Cloud Drive which is unlimited because I have Amazon Prime and I have OneDrive which is unlimited because I subscribe to Office 365.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke