How do I deactivate RTL?

A

AC Question

Deactivate RTL

Hi there,

I activated "Developer options" to activate "Skip screen lock",

And for some reason the "Force RTL layout direction" activated a while after.

Every time I deactivate it, it activates as soon as I leave the developer options menu.

If I deactivate developer options by clearing data for the "Settings" app, RTL is still activated, while even "Skip screen lock" is reset to deactivated.

I'm using a Xiamo Mi3.

This RTL layout makes everything look out of place, and sometimes means I can't type properly (puncuation marks just magically get added to the beginning of the textbox).

If anyone might have seen this problem before, or might have an idea of how to resolve it, I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Victor

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Deactivate RTL

There could be an app or a process keeping the RTL option always on. The logical suspects should be a right-to-left language or an accessibility option for left handed people. I haven't heard of this problem before so I'm just guessing. I'll make a little search and tell you if I find something. Check for something like that in your phone.

There's a way to completely disable the developer options. It comes with a price though. In most phones just go to settings - apps - all tab - settings and clear cache and data. That will reset all the changes you made in the settings. In some devices (most Samsung) this can't be done and you'll need to factory reset your phone.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello Victor and Welcome to Android Central.

You do have Developer Options switched off, yes?

Also, I wonder whether a Power Off and Restart would help after switching them off.
A Cache Partition wipe may also be worth trying.

Edit...posted same moment as above.

Posted via the Android Central App

Victu

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi Javier, Belodion,

Thanks both for your quick responses.

Yep, I already tried clearing cache and data to reset developer options,

As well as restarting the phone,

But that didn't have any effect on the RTL issue (though it did reset the "Skip screen lock" setting i had enabled).

I've looked in the Accessibility options Javier, but it tells me there are "no services installed".

Would there be another way of checking if there is an app using the RTL function?

Thanks anyway for your help,

Cheers,

Victor

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Hi Victor, welcome to the forums!
I'm not familiar with Xiaomi devices so maybe some things could be a bit different.

Have you rooted your phone or just running stock?

Check in your keyboard settings which languages are installed. If you have Arabic, Hebrew or any right-to-left language there uninstall it.

Try to reset apps preferences in your settings, reboot your phone and see if the RTL option can be disabled. In most phones that reset can be done in settings - apps - overflow menu (three dots top right).

You could boot your phone into safe mode and switch the RTL option off after that. If it doesn't enable back on its own then the problem is some app that you downloaded.

Victu

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Javier!

So to answer your points:

I haven't rooted by phone, it's the stock version of MIUI 6

There are a lot of languages installed but none are "active", only English UK

I've reset all apps preferences and rebooted, but the RTL still doesn't deactivate.

For the last one, I haven't figured out a way to get into safe mode (theres something about tapping the home button on xiaomi devices but its doesn't seem to work for me).

Thanks for you help!

Victor

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I've done a little search about your problem and device and this is what I found.

- Not a single report about the same issue you're suffering.
- Clearing data for settings should be enough to disable the developers options.
- As you said, booting your phone into safe mode can be a bit complicated.
- Many bugs reports when using the RTL option. The fix was flashing a custom multilingual ROM.

Sorry mate, I've no idea what else to suggest short of a factory reset. Before that maybe try to clear data and check every possible setting for any app with multilingual support (including messaging or browsers). Run out of ideas :(

Victu

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

No worries Javier, thanks for the effort you put into this nonetheless.

I'd also looked if this case had arisen in the past, and couldn't find anything related to it either.

Will let you know if I figure out Safe mode or a fix for this.

Otherwise, yeah, factory reset seems like the last resort, though one of the advantages with Xiaomi,

They're so cheap, i could potentially just get a new version.

Cheers,

V

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

You say lots of languages installed, but only English (UK) activated. Did you mean that, or did you mean that a lot of languages are listed, but only English (UK) is installed? (There's a big difference.) If you have other languages installed, uninstall them, then restart the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty