1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    ROM
    custom StreakDroid ROM

Default eBooks [help a newbie out] Library?

Is there some kind of Library where one can go to "check out" eBooks instead of purchasing them?

For instance, I can go to the local library and check out a hard copy of a James Patterson book. Is there a way that I could check it out in an electronic version, instead? I don't want to own it, just read it on my STREAK (mini-tablet) and then delete it when I'm done.

Is there a service like this for eBooks? Some kind of public library of downloadable books?

Some public libraries have e-book checkouts. You might want to check with them.

Also, older books that are in the public domain are available for free many places.
    You can observe a lot by watching- Yogi Berra

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

go to your local public library and see if they have an ebook section. Most major cities have excellent selection. Check Overdrive.com to search the available books and it will also tell you the book's availability within 100 miles of you.

Also huge selection of free public domain books available at or search Project Gutenberg.

One note, as I understand it, public library and Gutenberg and Google Books all use ePub format which does not work on Kindle but does work on Nook and Sony readers.

Enjoy.

I have a Droid X and do ebooks with Google reader and with Overdrive through my local public library. I love it ! Have no need for a Nook or Kindle with all the free ones you can find.
    Both are in the android market.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    ROM
    custom StreakDroid ROM

Thanks everyone! I've downloaded Overdrive and got it hooked up to my library card. That's kind of cool, if you think about it. I'm reading James Patterson on my phone, now. With its backlit screen, I can lie in bed and read while my wife sleeps and I won't wake her with the turning of the pages, or the shuffling of the book in my hands if it gets heavy, or even having to keep a light on.

VERY COOL!