What Should I Get!?!?

Haso17

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok guys, this is going to be my first android phone. I am a verizon customer and although i'm a little disappointed with what big red had to offer at CES i'm itching to get onto an Android device. Many people say the Bionic will be the ultimate phone, but i've seen MotoBlur and don't really like it. I've played around with TouchWiz on a Facinate and don't mind it and only heard great things about Sense. Help me out!!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I plan on getting the Thunderbolt because it will have Sense and should have plenty of developers making some great Roms. I would love for it to have a dual core but its not a deal breaker for me. Whatever Android phone you pick from Verizon will be a great phone. Help us out and let us know what your going to be using your phone for i.e (gaming, web browsing)

Haso17

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I have long opposed virtual keyboards because i had bad experiences with the LG Dare so i want a good interface with a virtual keyboard thats easy to pick up and get used to in a short amount of time. I'm not a huge app user (mainly because i'm using a BB Tour) but i do a lot of browsing and an occasional game here and there. If its speedy and the screen res is nice with a decent amount of battery and eligibility for future firmware upgrades it would be the phone for me.

Last edited:

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
What help do you need? It sounds like you know what you want and what you don't want. It's just a matter of looking at the options and picking what suits you best.

netninja

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you plan to stay on Verizon? I would recommend you get the Nexus S. Pure google experience and latest updates with a super nice screen and speed phone overall makes me recommend it to everyone.

However, if must stay on Verizon, I would recommend the Bionic. That looks like it's going to be a killer android. Hate motoblur? Flash a custom rom.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have long opposed virtual keyboards because i had bad experiences with the LG Dare so i want a good interface with a virtual keyboard thats easy to pick up and get used to in a short amount of time. I'm not a huge app user (mainly because i'm using a BB Tour) but i do a lot of browsing and an occasional game here and there. If its speedy and the screen res is nice with a decent amount of battery and eligibility for future firmware upgrades it would be the phone for me.

You have had bad experiences with on-screen keyboards because you have used phones with crapy touchscreens and terrible keyboards on top of that. I hear people all the time saying they want a keyboard cause the on-screen keyboard on their Voyager or whatever sucks.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If Motoblur is one thing you are not looking forward too, try LauncherPro, it changes how your homescreen looks. Much better then motoblur.
But I would wait for the Bionic just because it's dual-core.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Do you plan to stay on Verizon? I would recommend you get the Nexus S. Pure google experience and latest updates with a super nice screen and speed phone overall makes me recommend it to everyone.

However, if must stay on Verizon, I would recommend the Bionic. That looks like it's going to be a killer android. Hate motoblur? Flash a custom rom.

I think making the statement "flash a custom rom" is not something that just be thrown around. You always have to account for users who may not be as comfortable as you wish rooting and flashing roms. Not knocking you, just making a statement.

The LPP is a good suggestion for replacing MotoBlur in the terms of a launcher but it doesn't remove every component of Motoblur. Much like Sense & TouchWiz there are apps & components of the OS that the company modifies to fit their skin. For example: HTC changed contacts, gallery, dialer, etc. While they aren't "Sense" they're still aspects of the underlying skin.

As someone else pointed out, using the LG Dare as your basis for a software keyboard is a poor one. You can't compare a dumbphone keyboard vs a smartphone keyboard. Completely different software, hardware, build, etc.

My recommendation: wait until at least the TBolt comes out and then go into a store and try them out. Narrow it down to which one (or two or three) feels good to you and then from there get people's experience. Ask about and read about the features that matter most to you, this way you don't find yourself becoming overwhelmed with the amount of information that is out there of what people hate & love about a phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae