Why do I get the message Google Play Services has stopped?

Heidi Anah

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Google Play Services has stopped

I have had this problem with 3 phones now. They are Huawei Ascend Plus, so I know they are prob crap because they're "cheap" ($150) phones from straighttalk. I have seen a lot of others with similar issues though. It has Android 4.0.4 and all have had the issue from the moment I bought them at WalMart. Straighttalk has no advise and just tells me to factory reset every time it does it. Since factory reset had absolutely no effect on the error, I'm going to say this is an issue that the phone was set up to have. Initially, the phone would just revert to the home screen constantly. Upon searching through settings, I found error notifications were turned off by default so I turned them on and now I have 3 main errors. I can select "wait" most of the time and continue doing things, but sometimes it still doesn't give an error and just closes the program, returning you to the home screen.

I have tried everything: download manager disable/enable with and without reboot between, google play store and services uninstall updates w/ & w/o reboot individually and together (you can't use anything on the phone without updating service so I had to reinstall the updates for that, which also does play store, but I removed play store again and didn't make a difference), factory reset w/ and w/o restore, stopped all auto updates and notifications etc, there are no non-factory apps on the phone as I have given up on attempting to use this pos device. I don't even have to be using the phone for errors to occur, I'll unlock it after it sits for 20-30min and have 5+ error messages for com.google.process.gapps, google play services, and/or google play store. Services is the most frequent, play store second, and occasionally (2ish times a day) gapps, which I've learned is the download manager. As I have turned off everything that should be using download manager including updates and anything that uses data, that shouldn't even be running, no?

SO! If I root it, will I still have issues? does it seem like maybe this is a processor issue rather than a surface app issue?

As this is a straighttalk phone, there are never software or any kind of updates available, so if there is an update for repair, please post the link where I can download it.

Trying to see if there is any way to get it to work or if I should just keep using my insanely stable $30 phone.