Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What does rooted mean? I am new to android and want to learn. Thanks.

What also is the difference between a rooted phone and a stock one?

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Welcome to AC. I would start out here for simple answer to the terminology. http://www.androidcentral.com/dictionary
    Also this would be the wrong place to ask this type of question though I'm betting a mod will move this. Hopefully this helps.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Welcome to Android Warrantyman! I would recommend checking out this for all of your rooting questions

Rooting - Is it for me?

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Global Posts
    3,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly

Congratulations on making it to the AC front page on your first post!
    HTC DROID INCREDIBLE RETIRED
    GALAXY NEXUS TIME!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by warrantyman View Post
    What also is the difference between a rooted phone and a stock one?
    I say with a name like that you are either a spy or you want info from the dark side. LOL

Here's a good first place to look:
    Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

When you root your phone, you are getting superuser access to the android operating system that's running on it. In turn this lets you modify system applications, alter system settings and gain write access to system memory spaces. In turn this allows you to flash a custom recovery and install custom roms.

Basically in a sense, you are "freeing" your phone from locks and protections the manufacturers and carriers have placed on your phone. It opens the phone up to more customizations by the owner, but also opens up programming areas of the phone that can get you in trouble (meaning "bricking" or making the phone a real expensive paper weight). Rooting is not for everyone, and there is a lot you should research before attempting it, no matter what model you have.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.1 RC 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by 318sugarhill View Post
    Basically in a sense, you are "freeing" your phone from locks and protections the manufacturers and carriers have placed on your phone. It opens the phone up to more customizations by the owner, but also opens up programming areas of the phone that can get you in trouble (meaning "bricking" or making the phone a real expensive paper weight). Rooting is not for everyone, and there is a lot you should research before attempting it, no matter what model you have.
    One thing to add to this, its the way android is meant to be experienced. Google has even posted a blog expressing how they are disappointed that the manufactures lock down the phones the way they do.
    Nokia 6xxx >> Motorola i710 >> Motorola Razr >> BB 9000 >> BB 9700 >> Nexus One >> Droid X >> Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

This heros. Thanks everyone. I'm still trying to figure android out. :-)

Welcome to AC! New myself, the post by 318sugarhill basically sums it up. But yeah, make sure you check out the terms dictionary post as well.