What also is the difference between a rooted phone and a stock one?
    01-17-2011 09:06 AM
    Welcome to AC. I would start out here for simple answer to the terminology. http://www.androidcentral.com/dictionary
    Also this would be the wrong place to ask this type of question though I'm betting a mod will move this. Hopefully this helps.
    01-17-2011 03:01 PM
    Welcome to Android Warrantyman! I would recommend checking out this for all of your rooting questions

Rooting - Is it for me?
    01-17-2011 03:22 PM
    Congratulations on making it to the AC front page on your first post!
    01-17-2011 04:03 PM
    What also is the difference between a rooted phone and a stock one?
    I say with a name like that you are either a spy or you want info from the dark side. LOL

Here's a good first place to look:
    Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central
    01-17-2011 04:16 PM
    When you root your phone, you are getting superuser access to the android operating system that's running on it. In turn this lets you modify system applications, alter system settings and gain write access to system memory spaces. In turn this allows you to flash a custom recovery and install custom roms.
    01-17-2011 04:29 PM
    Basically in a sense, you are "freeing" your phone from locks and protections the manufacturers and carriers have placed on your phone. It opens the phone up to more customizations by the owner, but also opens up programming areas of the phone that can get you in trouble (meaning "bricking" or making the phone a real expensive paper weight). Rooting is not for everyone, and there is a lot you should research before attempting it, no matter what model you have.
    01-17-2011 04:34 PM
    Basically in a sense, you are "freeing" your phone from locks and protections the manufacturers and carriers have placed on your phone. It opens the phone up to more customizations by the owner, but also opens up programming areas of the phone that can get you in trouble (meaning "bricking" or making the phone a real expensive paper weight). Rooting is not for everyone, and there is a lot you should research before attempting it, no matter what model you have.
    One thing to add to this, its the way android is meant to be experienced. Google has even posted a blog expressing how they are disappointed that the manufactures lock down the phones the way they do.
    01-17-2011 05:19 PM
    This heros. Thanks everyone. I'm still trying to figure android out. :-)
    01-17-2011 06:19 PM
    Welcome to AC! New myself, the post by 318sugarhill basically sums it up. But yeah, make sure you check out the terms dictionary post as well.
    01-18-2011 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD