How do I reset Divide folders in Google Photos App?

A

AC Question

How to reset "Devide folders" in Google Photos App

From days ago I have only the new pictures in the "Camera", "Screenshots", "Instagram", "VSCOCam", etc.

Google Pictures ignores all of my previous pictures in these folders.

I've deleted cache and data from Photos and Google+ App, from the whole system too, deleted "thumbnail" folder inside DCIM folder, installed and runned Clean Master app, uninstalled Photos app upgrades...

With no results.

The problem is that the whole system seems that use the same photo cache: When I attempt to share photos in Twitter, Facebook or import photos to VSCOCam, etc. I only see the same week of pictures that appears in Photos app "Device folders" section.

My mobile device is blind with 2 years of pictures :/

Is a Nexus 5 with Android 5.1.1

Any solution?

Where is the system photos cache?

Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to reset "Devide folders" in Google Photos App

Android runs a media scanner when you start (or restart) it. ALL media apps use the database it creates to find files, so they don't each have to scan the whole phone every time you run Gallery or a a music or video app. So, yes, they do all see the same "photo cache" - the one Media Scanner creates every time you turn the phone on.

There's no single place all pictures are kept, but the ones you take with the camera are in some folder under DCIM by default. (That's the reason for the media scanner - you can have pictures anywhere on the phone or SD card.)

Oh, BTW, uninstall Clean Master and anything else written by Cheetah - they don't understand how Android works. (Clean Master just wastes battery and slows the phone down. Android doesn't want free RAM, it wants as much RAM in use as possible.)

benjami_villoslada

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site

Thanks Rukbat!

I've forgotten to mention that have restarted the phone several times in order to search solutions for this issue.

Maybe the media scanner stops for some reason? Maybe the pictures dabatase is corrupted?

The problem starts when, one week ago, I opened the "Device folder" section. The "Wait" wheel (or mill) was spinning long time. I took a screenshot at this moment. Few minutes after said "no photos":

CJKkR2iW8AQMlIK.jpg

Now I only have the last pictures, and from not of all folders (Canon PowerShot folders are ignored).

EDIT: After googling about "reset android media scanner database" I've stopped "Media Storage" service and deleted your data. Now my "Device folders" haven't pictures again. And "Media Storage" service seems that doesn't scan folders.

Last edited:

benjami_villoslada

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site

SOLVED following the YragTtocs solution poster for another problem (I haven't pots links privileges for now in this forum, sorry)

1. Uninstall Google Photos App.
2. Clear Media Storage data from Settings > Apps > All > Media Storage.
3.1 Update Google Play Services if it is not on the latest version.
3.2 Clear Google Play Services data from Settings > Apps > All > Google Play > Manage Space.
4. Reboot device.
5. Install Google Photos.

In other hand, thanks to this issue I've discovered the .nomedia file trick :)

Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes