Please help me identify a device for a very specific application

RevMen

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for an Android device (doesn't have to be a phone) that will be used to run a single application all day long, with no user interaction. I'm having a lot of trouble identifying the best choice, mostly due to a lack of information about hardware sensors. Maybe the good people of Android Central can help. Here's what I'm after:

• MUST have WiFi
  • MUST have Bluetooth Low Energy (aka Bluetooth Smart)
  • MUST have the hardware step-counter (introduced in the Nexus 5)
  • Small in size is preferable
  • Long enough battery life to run wifi and bluetooth (but not the screen) all day is necessary

Even though it's supposedly on a lot of new phones, it's difficult to determine whether a model has the hardware step sensor. You almost have to look for people discussing whether certain pedometer apps will function with it in a forum. Maybe the experience of those in this forum can help me there.

I'm really interested in the budget phones like the Alcatel Onetouch Idol 3, except I haven't been able to get confirmation that any of them have the hardware I need.

Any help is much appreciated!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I would say the Galaxy S6 does since it has the HRM built in as well. A good site to check out for phone specs across the board is PhoneArena.com I did look up the phone you mentioned Alcatel Onetouch Idol 3 and I am not entirely sure the sensor you want is there but it may be if the acceleromator is used for what you want. It has Bluetooth LE, WiFi, small 4.7" Size and the battery isn't horrible but may not be big enough for you. Check it out.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One M8 may be worth considering. It looks to have Bluetooth LE, and I know a step counter (comes with Fitbit pre-installed, which has a pedometer function). It may be a bit on the long side because of the stereo speakers, but not sure just how important size is.

It has good battery life out of the box. If you don't need a mobile data connection, turning that off will almost certainly last all day and then some. The battery isn't removable, so that could become a concern depending on how long you plan to use the device and how far you discharge it during use.

It's a premium phone, so there is a price tag to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463