Can I get some help with my new 256 GB SD card, please HELP?

Natalie Cruz

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Lots of trouble with new 256 GB SD card, please HELP!

Hi! Thanks for the interest if you are reading this, I REALLY need some help.

So, I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 running KitKat 4.4.2. I rooted it with KingRoot a couple of months ago and everything was working perfectly. I have no custom ROMs or anything like that installed, I just wanted to be able to remove some build-in apps and have some other of the privileges we rooted-android users can have.

I was using a 16 GB SD card. Which only had approximately 2 GB left of free space. I was experiencing some unexpected reboots every now and then (even before rooting) and I read somewhere that my SD card might be the cause. So, since I download a lot of music I decided to buy another (bigger) SD card. I bought it from eBay (I am a broke college student) I read great reviews about it and it was relatively cheap.

Here's the problem: I move everything to the new 256 GB sd card, and I can't see any of my pictures in one folder. It takes a lot of time to be able to use it when it boots (which I understand, just trying to write all the details). I TRY to move my apps and it won't let me. So I remove it and I format it. It then says that I have 250 GB, even though I just formated it. Only then I am able to see all of my files and move my apps... and at least 3 of them show up in the menu with the Android icon and won't work. And some, like Facebook, keep giving me pop-ups with 'Unfortunately, (app name) has stopped working'.

I don't know what to do... Maybe it's my phone, or the quality of the SD card...

Any help will be very much appreciated!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lots of trouble with new 256 GB SD card, please HELP!

Welcome to the forums.

First things first: After formatting, you are going to lose space. I can't remember why, but that is the way it's always been, since the time of 5.25" floppy disks. 6 GB lost in a 256 GB card is actually pretty good.

Second: Entire apps can't be moved to the SD card. Some of the data can be, but not 100% of the app. SD cards are typically best for holding media, like songs and videos, so that it doesn't eat up space on your internal.

Couple counter questions:
1. Can you upload screenshots of your storage stats, please?
2. Have you deleted any unneeded photos off from not only the gallery, but in your text messages? The SMS files can get pretty big, especially with pictures sent.
3. Have you deleted any apps that you no longer really use?

For a few more tips: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

Natalie Cruz

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

Thank you! Glad to be welcomed!

That's actually great news! I was worried I had done something wrong during the formatting.
So you mean it's not a good idea to move apps to SD cards? 9 of the 12 GB that I am currently using in the 256 GB SD is just music. The rest are pictures.

1. Sure!
Screenshot_2015-07-29-23-06-09.png
2. I don't send photos using SMS messages, mostly Whatsapp and Facebook.
3. I didn't delete any apps, I always only keep the ones I use.

Thank you for answering!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

OK...the picture really helps. The largest problem is the low total storage. 8 GB isn't a lot, and that is always before the OS takes its share. So, you only have a little less than 5 GB. Not a lot by today's standard. Sadly, there is not much that can be done.

If you are in the market for a newer device, Moto has just released the new G. The top tier has 16 GB, SD card capable, and is about $220. You can find it for sale on Moto website, and if you have T-Mobile or AT&T, you should be good to go.

From my G4
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader