Erratic charging first day new Motorola Maxx Turbo. What should I do?

A

AC Question

Erratic charging first day new Motorolla Maxx Turbo.

Wife and I just turned in Galaxy 3's on two Motorolla Droid Maxx Turbo's. The first evening the factory charge was down to approximately 19%. Put bot units on seperate charging stations and five hours later the charge was 40%. We were told these phones would charge 100% in approximately 45 minutes. Thought I would ask for some advice before returning to the store and exchanging for Galaxy 6S.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Erratic charging first day new Motorolla Maxx Turbo.

I think in this case, I'd not even bother troubleshooting this and try exchanging them in store for brand new replacements (to avoid warranty roulette with certified used phones). If the phones were that low on the factory charge, it could already have caused damage to them. If they are replaceable batteries, I'd be willing to get new ones. If not, I'd want a new phone. A battery drained that far once in a while isn't too horrible, but I'm guessing it was sitting on a shelf somewhere for months at such low levels. Battery life is likely already suffering. The slow charging could also be from that.

Because they are already new phones and charging accessories, the normal troubleshooting can likely be skipped, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try another charger and cable if you already have one. I would try using the OEM charger and cable at least once with the phone powered down. If it charges good there, it could be the phones are doing something major in the background beyond normal optimizing.

If the phones are warm, then it's actually possible that they are limiting the charge rates to keep the battery temps down. If that's the case, then yes you can see those extra long charge times. Download an app like Gsam to monitor charging current and temps. That may give you more clues. I know my M8 will drop to a trickle charge once it hits about 37°C and take hours to charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance