Rogue WiFi network - Guidance required.

SupremeJaguar

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
So here's the issue, a relative of mine went out on a trip. They attempted to connect to a WiFi network and seemingly failed to do so. They then put their phone (Galaxy S5) away and the next time they looked at the device is was constantly rebooting, it would just boot and after 2-10seconds it would reboot, no matter what screen the phone was on.

Now, after taking a look at it I seemed to have pinpointed the issue to the WiFi - this is because it now fails to connect to any WiFi network, even the saved networks within range. Also, when I turn the WiFi off (within the 2-10seconds I can use the device) AND while in safe mode. The phone functions fine - but if I then turn the WiFi on again, the phone fails to pick up any networks and then reboots.
That, along with knowing that the last action done while it was working fine was connecting to an open WiFi network, leads me to believe that it was this action that caused the issue.

Now, luckily i'm able to copy the required files over to a PC. But what would be the best option to do next?

A factory rest? Kies? Flash via Odin? - Would any system files have been modified? (I'm assuming this WiFi network was a rogue)

Sorry for the long rant, but hope this thread helps any others experiencing this issue/prevents some from having to experience it :)

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Rouge WiFi network - Guidance required.

It's rogue. (Rouge is French for 'red', and it's an abrasive and face powder.)

Anyway ...

First I'd forget all the wifi connections (if I could). If that didn't help, and you're comfortable flashing a ROM, by all means flash a new stock ROM. Odin is so trivial it's boring. (If you need a guide, it's at [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN.) Anything that survives flashing a new ROM (since you're running the Download partition, which has nothing to do with the normal Android partition, which is where the rogue connection would have done its dirty work, all the rogue stuff will get wiped) is a hardware issue.

SupremeJaguar

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Rouge WiFi network - Guidance required.

Thanks for the assistance, will have to endure a painfully slow download from SAM Mobile for the ROM file, but that should (hopefully) solve the issue completely. Thanks

Have corrected that typo ;)