Can I get some help upgrading to a larger micro SD card?

K5ING

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Upgrading to a larger micro SD card

Ok, I've searched on here and the web in general, and I've seen at least a dozen different ways to transfer my stuff from my old 2GB micro SD card to a new 32GB card that I want to install on my phone. Here is what I plan to do. Please let me know if it will work all right, or not.

Phone: HTC Desire 510 running KitKat. Bought new in the last month (Cricket). No music, pictures or video stored on the card that I know of.

1) Move all apps that I've moved from the phone to the card back to the phone.
2) Hook the phone up to my computer using a USB cable. Copy and paste all directories and stray files in the root directory to a directory on the computer.
3) Unmount old card, turn phone off, replace it with brand new 32GB Class 10 card.
4) Turn on phone and let it format the new SD card.
5) Copy and paste directories and stray files back onto the new SD card using the USB cable.
6) Move movable apps back onto the SD card.
7) Cross fingers that everything still works, then have a beer.

Does this plan sound like it is the proper way to do it? Any flaws or unnecessary steps? Plan B (my preferred one actually) is to just remove my old card, and do all the transfers on the computer without the USB cable so the new card is ready to go when I install it and turn the phone on. Is formatting on the phone itself necessary?

TIA

K5ING

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Upgrading to a larger micro SD card

Thanks for the reply. What about formatting the new card in the phone, mounting/unmounting and moving apps on the old card back to the phone before card swapping, etc? Sorry, but this is my first smart phone and I would like to keep it simple as possible without screwing things up. I'd ask my friends, but they are all in their 60's or older and can't even use a flip-phone. Thanks!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Yes, it would be good to format the card in the phone. Do that first, then copy your data to the new card.

Moving apps shouldn't have anything to do with swapping the SD card. Whatever is on the old SD card will be copied to the new one. The phone won't know the difference since it'll be seeing the same data that was already there on the old one. Just make sure to copy the entire contents of the old SD card to the new one. The worst that can happen is that something goes wrong and you have to go to Plan A.

I'd ask my friends, but they are all in their 60's or older and can't even use a flip-phone. Thanks!
Funny, there are quite a few of us here over 60! You'd be surprised what we know! LOL!

K5ING

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site

Many thanks, nahoku. I have been searching and I've heard everything from using a program to clone the card, to having to partition it, to moving the apps so the phone doesn't get confused when I put a blank card in there, to having to reinstall the apps, etc., etc., etc. Every explanation seems to be just a little different. I even installed a file directory app and it showed that I had both an "sdcard" and also an "sdcard2". Same thing when I connect a USB cable onto the phone and look at it in file explorer. It shows the sd card but also shows "HTC Sync....". I'm guessing that last one won't show up on the card itself. Thanks again.

Yeah, it's hell getting old. Too bad my old clamshell couldn't do smart apps. It was a lot easier to carry around. Guess it's time to join the 21st century.

K5ING

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site

Just to follow up, I got the new card, moved all apps on the old card to the phone, unmounted the old one, put it into the computer using an adapter, copied everything into a directory, installed the new card and formatted it, and used a USB cable to transfer everything for the copied directory onto the SD card in the phone. Had some "merge directory?" and "replace this file with that one?" kind of things, but just said yes to everything and all went well. Thanks for the feedback!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12