1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Post First things you do with your new phone

I have searched as best I can to get answers from ALL the people in the know to collectively answer my thread for me right or wrong. I can digest what I want but here goes:

Basically what is the first thing one should do with their new Android phone no matter what brand it is knowing that I have no desire to Root my phone?

I appreciate any and all advice that anyone wants to give such as apps to get, what to do or not to do and so on.

I thank everyone in advance and hope to get alot of responses.
    Last edited by Jaguarr; 01-31-2011 at 07:59 PM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

The first thing you should do is set a few hours aside to just play around with your new phone. Coming from BB you going to have to learn a new OS which is going to take some time. And make sure you have enough charges because your going to have a hard time putting your phone down. When I first came to Android from BB I ended up losing a lot of sleep because I couldn't put the phone down.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

I know that the first thing I'll do (after activation) is get my contacts and calendar on the phone.

Then apps. I have 40 or saved on appbrain!

Then customize!

What is stopping you from rooting?

Besides rooting, the first thing I would do is facebook lol. But I usually just play around with it and see what I like and don't like and go from there. I do not like the native SMS app since enter key does not send but instead, enters a new line. Handcent was a good alternative.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Consider what it is you think you'll be doing most with your phone and browse apps dedicated to that use. For example, search media apps if you plan on listening to music on it, whether on a streamed service like Pandora or Slacker, or playing games.

Also, do what @mclarryjr said. Set aside a few hours and learn the phone, inside and out. Read up on the articles here and see what features Android has available.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

First thing you should do is install "Launcher Pro". Learn from my mistake and do not wait six months to install. Then in no particular order:
    *Pandora
    *Jorte Calendar
    *Circle launcher
    *Power Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr View Post
    Basically what is the first thing one should do with their new Android phone no matter what brand it is knowing that I have no desire to Root my phone?
    Varies from person to person but I'd always recommend: Play around with it. Read up on the forum sites. Don't expect others to do your homework for you. You know what you need/want better than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarr View Post
    I appreciate any and all advice that anyone wants to give such as apps to get, what to do or not to do and so on.
    As always, that's highly subjective. Spend some time reading in the Android Apps subforums on various forum sites. It does no good for us to blindly recommend apps that may not be relevant to you. If you really want blind app suggestions there are countles existing app recommendation and "Best Apps" and "Must Have Apps" threads you can refer to.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    The first thing you should do is set a few hours aside to just play around with your new phone. Coming from BB you going to have to learn a new OS which is going to take some time. And make sure you have enough charges because your going to have a hard time putting your phone down. When I first came to Android from BB I ended up losing a lot of sleep because I couldn't put the phone down.
    I pretty much figured this was how it was going to be...LOL. Same way with my current BB although I have owned 4 of them. Thank you for the advice non the less. I always appreciate everyones input.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    What is stopping you from rooting?

Besides rooting, the first thing I would do is facebook lol. But I usually just play around with it and see what I like and don't like and go from there. I do not like the native SMS app since enter key does not send but instead, enters a new line. Handcent was a good alternative.
    Sorry but this is just me... I have no desire to do social network like FB or Twitter on it as it will also be used for business along with personal and I don't have the time for that. Rooting would take me too long to explain and I just don't care for it.

I have never done anything to my one and only BB Tour after 2 years and feel this is why I have NEVER had any trouble as opposed to others I know. This is not to say I will have trouble rooting but I don't want to find out. Thank you for your feedback though.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Consider what it is you think you'll be doing most with your phone and browse apps dedicated to that use. For example, search media apps if you plan on listening to music on it, whether on a streamed service like Pandora or Slacker, or playing games.

Also, do what @mclarryjr said. Set aside a few hours and learn the phone, inside and out. Read up on the articles here and see what features Android has available.
    +1
    Thank you for the great comment.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

First thing is smash your old phone. Seriously spend some time with the stock phone getting use to the new OS and figuring out how you want to set up your screens. Go through the How To threads and learn the Tips and Tricks.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    Varies from person to person but I'd always recommend: Play around with it. Read up on the forum sites. Don't expect others to do your homework for you. You know what you need/want better than anyone else.
    As always, that's highly subjective. Spend some time reading in the Android Apps subforums on various forum sites. It does no good for us to blindly recommend apps that may not be relevant to you. If you really want blind app suggestions there are countles existing app recommendation and "Best Apps" and "Must Have Apps" threads you can refer to.
    I agree. This is the reason I joined this forum so that I can learn everything I can including the Android World Lingo...

2nd part:
    I am in the process of doing this now. I know what I want to do and how I am going to use my new device and looking for apps for this purpose.

Thank you for your comments.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
    First thing is smash your old phone. Seriously spend some time with the stock phone getting use to the new OS and figuring out how you want to set up your screens. Go through the How To threads and learn the Tips and Tricks.
    CW,
    Thank you as well as your advice emulates the others and i will do just that. Don't know if I will smash the Tour though. I have a friend who wants to buy it.