Why can iPhones send videos in Hangouts but Androids can't?

A

AC Question

iPhones can send video in Hangouts but Androids can't?!?!

A buddy of mine can send video in Hangouts to me with his iPhone but I can't with my HTC One? Is this just the way it is or am I missing something?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhones can send video in Hangouts but Androids can't?!?!

Welcome to Android Central! You can send videos in a Hangout message, but if you're using Hangouts for SMS/MMS as well, make sure you're not sending it as an MMS, or else the filesize will be way too big. When you send a video via Hangouts, your video gets uploaded to your Google Photos privately, and the link is shared with the recipient privately.

justdubya

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site

Thanks but this doesn't seem to be the case for me... I have an HTC One M7. Inside of Hangouts when I tap the camera to take a photo or video to add to the message it will open my camera app but I only have the option to take a picture, not to record a video.

If I try to share a video to Hangouts that I have already taken it tells me "Media Format Not Supported".

My wife has a Samsung Note 3 and she says the same thing happens to her too.

I was wondering if this is something that happened in the latest update because I remember being able to send videos.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Hmm. I always thought that Hangouts can send a video, but maybe I was imagining things. Let me look into this a bit more.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm a dingus.:'( Hangouts can't share videos directly. You can upload your video to YouTube and share that link, or upload it to your Google Drive or Google Photos and share the link privately via Hangouts.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I remember years ago that we could send videos in SMS on Android, and it really bothers me that over the last few years it does not seem possible. Always getting the 'unsupported', or file to large, really.... a 5 second video, and Yes, everyone I know with an Iphone, can easily send videos!

So over the years I have used, as B Diddy mentioned, the upload to You Tube method (private) and share the link, which is "Yes" a lot less convenient and can take awhile......until recently, one of my family members suggested we use "WhatsApp" among our family. Well, I am very happy to say that we can now send videos in that message app and long ones too...... Only downside is that the person(s) you are sending to has to have the App too.....

Tina Dee

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree GregMargie we used to be able to take/send videos in hangouts. I think with this update but not sure... Hate to have to install another app.