1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ringtone for unknown caller

Is there any way to select a separate ringtone for incoming calls which do not match anyone in your contacts?

Man, this was a nifty feature (err um ...patch) on webOS.

Looking for this for my Evo as well.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE- > HTC Evo / BB Bold > Nexus S 4G

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

I don't know of a way to do this, per se, but you can assign people to groups and give each group (or individual) its own distinct ringtone.

So, for me, family has a ringtone (certain people have their own tones), friends have a different tone, and so on. Anyone who isn't in a group (unknown callers) will get the default ringtone, which is what I use for unknown callers.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )

Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    I don't know of a way to do this, per se, but you can assign people to groups and give each group (or individual) its own distinct ringtone.

So, for me, family has a ringtone (certain people have their own tones), friends have a different tone, and so on. Anyone who isn't in a group (unknown callers) will get the default ringtone, which is what I use for unknown callers.
    I can assign contacts to a group, but there doesn't seem to be a way to assign a ringtone to a group....at least with HTC Sense.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE- > HTC Evo / BB Bold > Nexus S 4G

There's one kludge I use. I assigned a ringtone of "nothing.wav", which is a short recording of silence, to some of the "unknown" caller IDs.

Depending on your service that may be "Out of Area" "Unknown caller" or a half dozen other terms. But if you take each of those, SAVE IT as a caller, and then assign a silent (or other) ring tone to it...that's what will play for all the same CallerIDs.

If the cellcos weren't such greedy inconsiderate whores, they'd allow us to do what the better phone companies do: Just block all the calls without ID.

Ain't rocket science, just greedy whores who are afraid they won't get paid for each call they allow you to block.

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts

Default Re: Ringtone for unknown caller

WhoIsIt (paid) did it, but the app is not stable these days.

I would pay for a simple app that would allow me to set a specific ringtone such as "who can it be now?" when a call is received from a number not in Contacts. This has great use when selling or renting stuff and your number is listed in an ad - want to pick up that call right away. There was this functionality built in way back in the Treo days and had it on my WebOS phones, but it is hard to believe that with all the high tech abilities on Android, this functionality is not available?
    Last edited by Convert2; 11-09-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: change

Go into Settings -> Call -> Call rejection -> Auto Reject List -> "Unknown". Checkmark that number, and then exit the settings.
    Running Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)

Belated reply, but if others, like me, are searching for this, this worked on Nexus 4 with KitKat

1. Set the default ringtone to the ringtone you'd like for unknown callers.
    2. Get "Group Ringtones" app. Free.
    3. This allows you to assign a ringtone to "Contacts", allowing you to uncheck anybody you've already given a custom ringtone to.

Done.

(Haven't yet tested to see what happens when you add a new contact after doing this.)