I have an app from Pocket Mags which is eating memory, how can I move the apps to my SD Card?

A

AC Question

I have an app from Pocket Mags which is eating memory

I have a Galaxy Tab S SM-T800 android 5.0.2 with a 120GB SD card

An app from Pocket Mags eating main memory

I wish to move the app to the SD card if possible

I am new to this so in slow steps please.

Regards David

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: I have an app from Pocket Mags which is eating memory

Since you're new, we should probably clarify by what you mean when you say it's eating "memory." Typically, the term memory is used to refer to the RAM in the phone, which is similar to computer RAM. I've recently started seeing more people referring to their storage space (the equivalent of a computer hard drive) as memory.

If you mean the former, then moving to the SD card wouldn't accomplish anything, assuming it can be moved at all. Android is designed to use most of the available memory (RAM), and is very good about managing it on its own.

If you mean the storage space on your device, then you should be able to go into the app manager in your device settings and find the app. When you go into the app's properties, you'll see an option to move it to the SD card if that's something you can do. Not all devices allow you to move apps to the SD card, and even some apps don't allow it. Those that do allow it still have to leave a portion on the main device storage, and that amount varies between apps. Moving to the SD card can also cause potential issues with app stability and you'll no longer be able to use any widget associated with it. In general, I don't suggest moving apps. You'd be better off moving media and other stand alone files to the card so you can have more space available on the device itself.

I have heard of an option that tricks apps into seeing the SD card as the internal storage to install there, but it's not one I've looked into and requires rooting the device.