Why can't I update Google Play Services?

A

AC Question

Help! Can't update Google Play Services

Hello, I own a OnePlus One and a Nexus 5. I constantly update many Google-made applications through side loading APKs.

All of my phones are running Google Play Services version 6.7.79 (1845116-438). I try to update to Google Play services 8.1.13 (2234497-238) on my OnePlus One but it failed. I searched it on the internet and some says that remove data, the cache, or uninstall the updates entirely. I have done everything. When I try to update Google Play Services, I keep getting the error -501 all the time after numerous attempts of clearing data.

Apparently, some people also commented it on the website that I downloaded it, APKMirror.

"Be wary of this update. This has bricked my copy of Google Play Services for my Nexus 5 (238). Everything I've seen on forums to roll back the updates and reinstall just result in 501 errors now. It also fails a sideload from an apk. I now get to reset my phone after work... FUN. :/"
-Lucas Cannon

Due to the fact that there is no page dedicated to the problem, I opened one. Do you know how to fix this problem and how? I can't use Google apps except YouTube without this app.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help! Can't update Google Play Services

Ok I have just gone down this road with my Nexus 5. I got my apk from Android Police. Read through this Google Play Services v8.1 Begins Rolling Out To Prepare For Android Pay, Changes Variant Naming Scheme For Lollipop Devices, And More [APK Teardown + Download]

You will find a link for all the apk's in there. The big thing when moving to 8.1 is to check the naming scheme and download the correct one for you phone. It goes on Android version and DPI. My nexus 5 was 238.

The dpi on you oneplus is probably different so this is why it would have failed.

If you want to clear data then you have to force stop Google Play store. After this you can clear cache on the google play services.

I haven't had any problems on my Nexus after updating.

imnotarobot

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Re: Help! Can't update Google Play Services

Google play services sucks. It's killing my battery in a few hours. I tried 'Force Stop" but that did no good so I uninstalled it and that fixed the problem for a day or so but then it re-installed itself. I'm cheap so I'll just keep uninstalling it every day or two but when I buy a new phone it will be an iphone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan