Suspicious? New Update. Download the latest update. World icon

kevinmccready

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
My fairly new ACER Z220 smartphone with Adroid Lollipop 5.0 is giving me a constant notification message which says
New Update
Download the latest update.
It has an icon of the world with a download arrow as part of the icon of the world.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is it a notification appearing in the notification panel, or is it a popup window?

If it's a notification, long-press it, and tap App Info. If it's from a system app, then it's ok.

kevinmccready

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks very much. I Long tapped and it says it's an ACER Live Updater. Given all the extra stuff which ACER forced on me and their lousy launcher which I've replaced, and their appalling phone app, I'll block it. I tried to upload a photo but it didn't seem to work.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Try searching forums specific to your phone (not sure if there's a dedicated one on here) to see what other users are saying. A lot of manufacturers have been releasing updates lately to fix the stagefright vulnerability. It's possible that's what is trying to install.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Mooncatt. There may also be other important bugfixes. Unfortunately, you often have to take the bad with the good in these updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21