How do I get my phonebook?

A

AC Question

how do I get my phonebook?

have 2011 Nissan and have had no issues with Bluetooth until I got a new phone. The Galaxy S Relay. It connects with the car just fine, but I can't get my phone book. All my contacts are via google account. How do I get them where I need them? it should be simple.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: how do I get my phonebook?

Welcome to Android Central! When you pair the phone to the car, does it give you a message where you have to approve sharing contacts with the car? Also, go to Settings>Bluetooth, tap the Car's settings, and make sure Contact Sharing is turned on.

I've encountered some odd behavior before where if my Contacts app was set to Display All contacts, it wouldn't transfer contacts to the car. Instead, I had to tap Menu>Contacts to Display, and select Customize (instead of All Contacts), then choose the various groups of contacts.

Plmiller

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site

Yes it did ask me to approve sharing which I had done. and sharing is on. Not sure I understand how to customize

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Not sure I understand how to customize

Open the Contacts app, and tap Menu, then Contacts to Display. Instead of choosing "Display All Contacts," select "Customize" instead. Now select the various groups that include the contacts you want to show. If you select the My Contacts group, it will probably be all of your contacts anyway. After doing this, see if the contacts display correctly in the car now.

Plmiller

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site

Well - that didn't work. When I tell the car to list names it responds that there are no names to list. Do I need to somehow copy all my contacts to the phone? They show on my phone as being linked to google.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Hmm. Did you check the Bluetooth settings and see if there's a checkbox for Contact Sharing, as I had previously mentioned?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

What came on? Are you saying there is a Contact Sharing checkbox, and it's checked on?

Plmiller

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site

I think I solved it. I went to import export and imported my contacts to the Sim. Then I exported them to phone. They are now showing up on my car.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I think I solved it. I went to import export and imported my contacts to the Sim. Then I exported them to phone. They are now showing up on my car.

I'm glad you figured it out, but it still should work with Google contacts from the cloud. I wonder if it's some limitation with the car's Bluetooth software.

Plmiller

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site

I would have thought so too. I did contact Consumer Cellular since I got the phone from them. They just now answered me back and low and behold, told me to do exactly what I just did. Go figure! Thanks for sticking with me
Patty