What's the best way/app/setting to get Android to read me incoming text messages over Bluetooth?

Bataar

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I just switched from Windows Phone to Android (Lumia 1520 to Galaxy Note 5) and I'm thinking of switching back. The main reason is lack of voice support, mainly when it comes to texting.

It's so integrated into the Windows OS that I took it for granted. Windows could do it natively back in 2010 when Windows Phone 7 came out. You didn't need to download or run any apps to do it. Just put a Bluetooth headset on and it works.

If Person X sends me a text, I'll hear the notification and then it will say, "You've received a text from Person X. Should I read it or ignore it?" If I say "Read it", it will read the message and then ask if I want to reply or if I'm done. If I say reply, it will ask me to say the message and then read it back to me for verification and ask if I want to send it, add more, or try again.

What's the best way, if it's even possible to get close to this level of functionality? I understand I may have to start an app or something and I don't mind if it's not exactly the same. I just need to be able to listen to and respond to texts while driving. When I switched to Android, it didn't even occur to me that Android wouldn't have this level of basic functionality.

Bataar

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Is there no way to do this? I have a couple more days that I can return the phone. I'd like to figure out how to do this or else I'll have to ditch Android. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Just search "read Sms" in the Play Store, there are dozens of apps that do that.

I would suggest Macrodroid, which lets you set up rule based conditions, very easy to do.

hoovermac

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just search "read Sms" in the Play Store, there are dozens of apps that do that.

I would suggest Macrodroid, which lets you set up rule based conditions, very easy to do.

Tried a few apps on my Samsung phone to get the "Windows Phone" experience for text messaging over Bluetooth. Looking at ReadItToMe now - will see if it's close. This is something that MS has really done well and a big reason why my L1520 remains my favorite in the car phone. BlackBerry is close with its Assistant, BTW. I agree with the original poster - it was so good on WP that you took it for granted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy