Do Not Disturb in Marshmallow - are those people morons?

exapplerep

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I am mystified by Google's logic in altering the behavior of "do not disturb" mode in Marshmallow. In Lollipop, all I had to do was tell my phone to shut up until the next alarm when it would return to normal operation. Now I apparently have to turn OFF the DND mode even after my alarm sounds so it now takes -many- more taps and, god forbid I forget to turn off DND mode and miss incoming calls and calendar event reminders. I don't see any way of creating a "rule" that says, "Shut the hell up until the next alarm and then all sounds back on". Am I missing something? Why do they think we want such complexity? "DND until next alarm and then back to normal"

youzaname

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Totally agree.

I had been using the silent "until next alarm" feature every night. Now after updating my Nexus 6 to Android Marshmallow, I find that they have removed that feature.

Why did they remove that functionality ?

Does anyone know if this will be rectified in the first point release update ? Otherwise I will need to look at either reverting back to Lollipop or looking at an alternative phone.

exapplerep

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Well, here it is near the end of the month and the "do not disturb until next alarm" function has disappeared again.

Let's see: This happened near the end of December, near the end of January, and now near the end of February.

I think we now have confirmation the Android developers don't even use Android phones.

Q: How long does it take to fix a problem like this?
A: This isn't a bug; it's a feature.

Barney00907

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Agree. This is something I use every night and am not happy. The best ever was blackberry bedside mode - silent on, leds off, selected contacts could override, alarm on, illuminated clock and charge phone just by putting it in dock at night - why can't android do something that sleek?

Posted via the Android Central App

exapplerep

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
March 26th, 2016 - The DND bug returns. DND "until next alarm" goes on holiday again. Will return at the start of April.

October, November, December, January, February, March. Six months without fixing a known issue that many users find critical to their needs.

My guess is they'll fix the problem by eliminating DND mode entirely. :-\

exapplerep

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Switched to a Samsung Galaxy S7 and discovered that Samsung doesn't have DND until Next Alarm!

This was obviously by choice because Marshmallow has it now but Samsung has evidently removed it for some unknown reason. I've asked Samsung customer service about this and no one there can provide any explanation other than "we're Samsung and we're so smart".

Perhaps Nougat will bring sanity.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power