Bluetooth calls being shunted to ear speaker away from headset

iiari

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Android central, you're my last hope. Appeals for help in other Google+ and other forums have been fruitless. My problem is that my Nexus 6, for about 30% of phone calls made when I'm using bluetooth, will for some reason not send the call to the bluetooth headset but to the phone's ear speaker. While this is totally random and independent of which bluetooth headset or car I use and independent of the manner in which I initiate the call, it tends to be more with Google Now initiated voice calls. This is also despite the fact that all other sounds and Google Now voice prompts go through to the bluetooth headset appropriately before the actual call itself is randomly shunted back to the phone's ear speaker. This has been since I bought the phone and durable through all of the Lollipop updates. Is this a known thing? It's driving me absolutely nuts. Thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How constant is the Bluetooth connection? Could the connection be dropping out intermittently? Does this happen with any Bluetooth headset you try?

iiari

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for replying!

Bluetooth connection is rock solid across devices. I routinely use 3 different headsets made by different companies and two car bluetooths, and it happens with all of them, rather randomly. Connection never drops out doing anything else - streaming music, podcasts, etc. There's the usual Android chime in the headset when making the car and then, again randomly like 30% of the time, another chime when the call actually connects shunting it back to the phone ear speaker (despite the fact that the call screen shows bluetooth being active). To get it back to the headset, I need to select the speakerphone option, then reselect the bluetooth option on the call screen, then all is good. VERY frustrating.

The only reply I have received online thus far is from one other guy who says it happens to him as well, and to let him know when I find an answer :(.

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This almost certainly won't help, but open Google Now, go to its Settings, then Voice, and make sure Bluetooth Headset is switched on. (That's only for "recording audio," so that's why I think it won't help.) Ultimately, it may just be a bug. Have you sent feedback to Google using the phone itself? Go to Settings>About Phone>Send Feedback About This Device.