password apps

gjbrns

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me before I sign up to one of the security apps like dashlane or lastpass, what happens if I decide in the future to take back control of passwords? How do I do this since I wouldn't then know what the individual passwords were?

Posted via the Android Central App

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I use Roboform Everywhere. It does have Android and iOS versions as well as Mac and Windows. There is an editor capability that allows you to view your passwords. By the way, none of the apps take over absolute control of your passwords, they're just a secure version of the post-it under your keyboard, though some (like Roboform) can also generate passwords so you wouldn't know them without looking in the editor.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've used Last Pass and it has a vault where you can view the passwords, regardless of if you created it or let it generate one. It won't change them on its on. You have to initiate the change for every account just as if you didn't use a manager, then manually input the new password. So there's no worry about it "hijacking" your passwords or anything. I would suspect other password managers are the same in this aspect.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Just to add to this conversation....I still haven't found a password app that works like they should. In the PC world a password program automatically puts the password in the password field of the program you want it to. For instance, using Android in a banking app, you still must copy the password from your password app then open the banking app then paste the password in. Really not fun especially if you don't have a keyboard that can use the CTRL C and CTRL V procedure.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to this conversation....I still haven't found a password app that works like they should. In the PC world a password program automatically puts the password in the password field of the program you want it to. For instance, using Android in a banking app, you still must copy the password from your password app then open the banking app then paste the password in. Really not fun especially if you don't have a keyboard that can use the CTRL C and CTRL V procedure.

Check out Roboform Everywhere. I use it, no copy/paste needed. If you link the passwords to the Android apps themselves, it will auto-fill. My passwords with the app are linked to the website as I started (and primarily) use it on a computer.

On an Android device - open the app, tap the password box and a Roboform icon appears on screen. Tap that icon, it allows you to select to fill with an automatically-selected password card or go to your full list of passwords and select the one to fill it with. The app listing for it is below, it has videos on how it works. The Roboform site has info about the Everywhere database security. I can post some screenshots from the Android app if you want.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.siber.roboform&hl=en&token=NmDPgyh2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463