Can I sell a phone that is still on Verizon monthly payment plan?

chipper5678

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm on the monthly payment plan with Verizon. My phone payment for 2 years is $25. I get $30 a month in credits which essentially pays for my phone. Can I sell that phone?? My son would like to get an iphone and pay for it from a private seller. So we would be selling the phone that is on the contract and adding the iphone in place of it. Is this allowed??

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: selling phone that is still on verizon monthly payment plan

Before selling your phone, you will have to make sure that it is free and clear of any holds (which it will have as it is still being paid off). Once paid off, you can do with it what you please then pop the iPhone in its place.

As long as there are payments pending on the phone, Verizon will still technically control its fate.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site

Best recommendation is to pay the phone off, then sell it.

Technically you can sell it, but it's safer for the buyer to have the phone paid off.

You can technically remove the phone from your line and add an iPhone. But you'd still have the recurring payment for the phone you started the payment plan on.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

If you try to sell it on Swappa.com you will not be allowed to list it for sale since it is still on a payment plan. On eBay or here you can list it. But it is best to pay off the phone prior to listing it for sale. This is usually the first question I ask sellers before engaging in a negotiation to purchase the phone on eBay or here on MoNa sites. Good luck with the sale.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

This is usually the first question I ask sellers before engaging in a negotiation to purchase the phone on eBay or here on MoNa sites. Good luck with the sale.

Good point... a lot of buyers won't even give you the time of day if the phone is still tied up with any sort of financing.

StayFly

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

technically you could if you're using the money they give you to pay if off. it would be paid off before they received the phone.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

What about a phone that was ordered on a regular 2 year contract?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

What about a phone that was ordered on a regular 2 year contract?

Same thing applies. If there is any kind of tie between the phone and a carrier, it is imperative that it all be resolved prior to a sale. That protects BOTH the buyer and the seller.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Mod note: Moved to General help and how to.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

So, basically, no point in ordering a phone from Best Buy, ditching the SIM card, and selling it then.. Bugger.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

So, basically, no point in ordering a phone from Best Buy, ditching the SIM card, and selling it then.. Bugger.

If you bought the phone, outright, then you can sell it... but if the purchase came with some strings attached, the no joy. Pretty much any deal that starts with "Get a Galaxy S6 for $1" has a catch. They aren't going to sell you a device worth $600 or $700 for nothing unless they have some guarantees in return.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon