Help me figure out Google Photos

mj0

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out Google Photos but can't quite wrap my head around it.

First problem: quality. As far as I could see there are two options for uploading photos: High Quality and Original. High Quality seems to always compress images uploaded whether they're smaller than 16MP or not, doesn't seem to make a difference. An 8MP photo uploaded from my iPhone clocks in at 1.6MB on the phone but went down to 800KB when uploaded with the "High Quality" setting. Original seems to leave everything untouched, however from what I understand these photos will always and no matter what count against my storage quota. Is that correct?

Second problem: backups. I don't want to use the automatic sync for each photo and video. Quite frankly this would be rather disturbing. Instead, I would like to manually select which photos I want to backup into Google Photos and which not. This seems to be working fine when disabling auto-backup in the iPhone app and manually selecting the photos to upload - great. However, there's a problem: if I decide that I want to delete a photo from Google Photos (let's say I accidently uploaded a picture I never intended to have online) it automatically also removes said photo from my iPhone. What good is a backup for when deleting the backup also removes the original?

I'm certain that I'm simply doing something wrong here, can anyone help me figure this thing out?