Can't Install Apps .. Insufficient storage available with 32G sd card?

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Can Install Apps ... Insufficient storage available with 32G sd card

Hello ... I just purchased an unlocked android phone on ebay and a 32GB SD card ... I put it in the phone ... it sees the card, but when I tried to install apps it tells me insufficient storage ... I went into the settings under storage and have checked the dot for the SD card, but I guess the apps are trying to install on the internal storage instead of the card ... I see no way to install the apps on the card ... can you help me with this?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can Install Apps ... Insufficient storage available with 32G sd card

Which device and android version do you have?

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

Hello ... well sir ... according to the seller on ebay it is a Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ... I did try and go into the apps manager to move the apps to the SD card that way, but that option was grayed out ... thank you for replying to my post. :)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Hello. Was it a new card?
When you inserted it you went to Stoarge, then Format the card and the full card storage was recognised (roughly similar capacity).

The Gowin M8

http://classicspecification.com.ng/gowin-m8-review-specification-and-price/

has 2 or 4gb of internal storage, and apps cannot be downloaded directly to the card in most Android versions.
Can you set the camera to store on the sd card.
Normally you will not be able to clear a lot of the internal storage for more apps, but as said here I think (or you knew) you can "move" many downloaded apps to the sd card.
This will only move portions of each app to the card, with links to the main app still in internal storage and will not free all that internal space just some.
Built in stock apps will not move to the sd card.

Are they all greyed out?
In Applications Manager / Apps you should have columns for Downloaded or All apps.

Sadly because of app storage and the limitations of your device, it may not be suitable for what you need.
Sd cards can store a lot of media (films, music, documents) but won't make up for a lack of app space.
Try moving media to the card, but most lower capacity devices have a limited section allocated for apps anyhow. If it's a 4gb version, a chunk of that has been used by the operating system so you may have less than 1gb for apps.

Try the app "SD Insight" to verify the capacity of the sd card.

------
Added:
See this guide

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=315804

Last edited:

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

Yes it is a new card ... I inserted it went to storage formatted the card and checked the dot next to SD ... It states there is 31Gb of free space on the card. The M8 I have only has 100 MB of internal storage. If there is a way to set the camera to store on the sd card I don't see it. I checked all the apps listed on the internal storage and it does not give the option to move any of the apps already installed when I got the phone (built in stock apps) with only 50 mb free. The option to move any of the apps are grayed out. What do you mean by app SD insight to verify the capacity of the card ... I see 31Gb of store space ... so what you are saying is the SD card can't store apps only the internal store? That doesn't make much sense ... The way it is I can download any apps larger than the 50 mb and what I want is way more. I don't know anything about this phones ... I thought I would have no problems like this.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

so what you are saying is the SD card can't store apps only the internal store?

In most cases, this is correct. Some apps will let you move part of the app to the SD card, but the entire initial download goes to internal storage and part of the app (in most cases all of the app) will remain on internal storage.

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

Well sir ... I was able to get the phone to put some of the apps on the SD card following instructions at this web site ... What I am finding now is that some apps still will not install stating insufficient storage. I was trying to install the app "hangouts" which is 25mb ... and I had 43mb free in internal storage, yet I was getting the storage error ... I can't understand that ... All the apps that do install will install on the SD card. I tried to install The Weather channel ... Accuweather ... google play ... and I get the storage message ... I was able to install google maps ... youtube ... GPS map ... google talk ... all when right to the SD card ... so what seem to be the problem of some apps not installing?:confused:

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

Ok I finally got some apps to install on the SD card ... I was about to get the instructions from a web site on how to hack the phone ... but I am still having problems with apps claiming insufficient storage when that is not the case. I was trying to install "hangout" and it is 25mb ... I had 43mb of storage on the internal drive ... but I get that error message about storage. I was able to install google maps ... google voice ... youtube ... GPS maps and messenger on the SD card ... all when right to the card ... I tried to install google play, the weather channel, accuweather, and hangouts ... all gave me the insufficient storage error ... I don't know what the sizes are of those other apps. So what is the problem? How do I get these apps to install?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Ok I finally got some apps to install on the SD card ... I was about to get the instructions from a web site on how to hack the phone ... but I am still having problems with apps claiming insufficient storage when that is not the case. I was trying to install "hangout" and it is 25mb ... I had 43mb of storage on the internal drive ... but I get that error message about storage. I was able to install google maps ... google voice ... youtube ... GPS maps and messenger on the SD card ... all when right to the card ... I tried to install google play, the weather channel, accuweather, and hangouts ... all gave me the insufficient storage error ... I don't know what the sizes are of those other apps. So what is the problem? How do I get these apps to install?

You would still get "insufficient storage" even if the app is less than the remaining internal storage. It allows for / needs some headroom for other updates etc. Others here like Rukbat or B. Diddy can explain better.
You can find some tips and help here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html#post4852648

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

That seems to be general information about clearing storage ... most of the apps on the internal storage can't be deleted or moved even after hacking the phone .. my problem is I can't get the app google play service installed ... I'm getting the error of insufficient storage. I have no ideal what the size of the app is. I can't use google voice or see youtube videos with out that apps any ideas how I can get it to install?:-\

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

That seems to be general information about clearing storage ... most of the apps on the internal storage can't be deleted or moved even after hacking the phone .. my problem is I can't get the app google play service installed ... I'm getting the error of insufficient storage. I have no ideal what the size of the app is. I can't use google voice or see youtube videos with out that apps any ideas how I can get it to install?:-\
Sorry. I don't know what to tell you from the UK.
The Play Services app runs to 164 mb on mine with data.

I can't see if your device has a Google license for the Play Store, a Google account, Chrome, Android Device Manager etc, or is for example like Chinese clones of old with an older Android rom where they add in just Gmail, etc to make it look official, as this seems on a spec sheet I saw. I can't open any review of this.

Either way, you are very limited in what you can do with that amount of storage and ram.

I don't understand what you have hacked, and I couldn't advise you even if I knew (I'm just a member) but there are some who might.

If you could post screenshots of the All apps list, and storage etc it might help someone advise you. How are you downloading apps? Sideloading them?

Honestly I think you are flogging a dead horse.

I have a 'cheap' device at the moment, a 2013 Moto G with 8gb only, but I can have approx 4gb of apps on it.
Have you long pressed the Cached Data in Storage and cleared it.

You could start the question again on a new thread but either in the General Help and How To forum or Introductions, both in the Android Central Community section here.

d313d1aa43569c86d8301726f191de70.jpg
022d779955aaefd1f6dbf42f6e43c417.jpg

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

Wrong phone ... look at the one I got now that I can post links ...it has no where near that amount of storage. :p You are really going to say it's not worth it now. :D But I'd like to keep tinkering with it ... and see what I can see. Is there a rooting program I can use on my computer that you know of? Oh and how do I go about posting screen shots?:-X

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

Hilly Ho!!! Any one know where I can get a good rooting software that doesn't have spyware in it???? Payware that is reasonable??? Anyone?:-X

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

Well sir ... I got the phone rooted with iroot, but I can't install link2SD on the phone due to insufficient storage. Is there some alternative I can use via my computer to do the job?:-\

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

Hilly Ho!!! ... Well sir ... this is where I am at with the phone. I uninstalled all the apps so I could install an app called Titanium Backup that is suppose to allow me to force apps to move, but so far I only see an option to uninstall the apps, which I won't do because I don't know all the apps that are needed to run the system. But I was able to install link2SD ... but I found the SD card has to be partitioned. So I had to order a card reader so the PC can see the card. That should be here in a week or so. I saw in the link program the option to link to the SD card ... is that what needs to happen??? Another thing. After uninstalling all the apps, that freed up 58mb of internal storage so I tried to install google play services which is 37.50 mb and I got the same insufficient storage error :confused: ... the phone only has 102mb total ... so how much extra space is needed to download that app??? It won't install directly to the SD card as some apps ... so what is up with that? Anyone?
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Well sir ... I got the card reader and partitioned the card with mini tool. Now when I go to Link2SD and I try to link to the card I get this message ... "Not Mounted ..../data/sdext2 mount not found." When I do the create mount scripts and I select the ext2 it just hangs there on please wait. I set the drive as a FAT32 and when I click on the FAT32/16 button I get into the program ... then when I try to link I get that message about not mounted. What do I need to do???

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
:D

spirittoo

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Hilly Ho!!! Okay ... this is where I am so far ... I got Link2SD installed but I am getting a "Mount script cannot be created. mount: Invalid argument." So I read that in order to solve that problem I have to unlock the bootloader. I had to use the SDK program to do it, but when I type in the command "fastboot ome unlock" I get an error message ... " 'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file."

But what really bothers me is when I do the adb devices command I get "'adb' is not recognized ...." Before it would list the device. I had to uninstall the java I had to have in order for the SDK to work in order to install the lastest java update ... I was getting an error while installing java ... but I reinstalled it after the java update and the SDK. Can anyone help me over this hurdle?
So does anyone know what the correct language is for my JellyBean 4.2.2 OS??

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

:D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney