How do you type a password in an Android phone when Google Voice-to-Text is the language input?

A

AC Question

Hello,

I have an LG Optimus L9 phone and switched the language input to voice input. My phone has a letter password on it but I cannot type the password nor say it. I am stuck at the lock screen of my phone. How do I type in my password? Please help, and thanks in advance!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Do you have another keyboard installed in your phone? If so, can you switch keyboards in the lock screen? If nothing works you could try plugging and USB keyboard using an OTG cable and see if your phone recognise it.

anonymous543

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Thank you! You see, Google Voice didn't work("Unfortunately Google Search has stopped working") so I turned off the phone's power.

Yes, I have an LG Keyboard and an Emoji Keyboard installed on my phone. I can't switch keyboards on my lock screen, I've researched but couldn't find a way to.

Is there a way I could activate the other keyboards or remove the password by using an OTG cable? My phone is recognized on my laptop when connected with the cable.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Javier P had suggested connecting a USB keyboard to the phone via an OTG cable--can you try that?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I did, my computer recognized my phone but won't show any of the files on it.

That's a different thing. I was thinking that plugging an external keyboard via an OTG cable could work, but I'm not sure about your phone. Some phones don't have that feature. This cable is very cheap and can be bought online or in retail shops. You could take your phone to a local repair shop and tell the guys if they can check that for you.

Another idea. If you boot your phone in safe mode it's possible that the stock keyboard will be enabled back. Check how to do that in your phone but in most you just hold the power button, as to switch the phone off, and then long press on the Power Off window.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I did, my computer recognized my phone but won't show any of the files on it.

There shouldn't be a computer connected at all in this setup. Use an OTG adapter (it plugs into the phone's microUSB port, and the other end is a female USB port), then use any USB keyboard and plug that into the OTG adapter's female port. Now see if you can use the keyboard to enter your password.

anonymous543

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Oops, I was using my phone charger to connect it to my laptop.

I have an OTG adapter but have to wait until tomorrow to get a USB keyboard. I'll let you know if it works or not.

I tried safe mode but the keyboard still didn't appear.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I did a little search and it seems that the L9 doesn't have OTG support, at least with unpowered devices. So I'm not sure what else to suggest short of a factory reset, and even this could be not enough. There's a long thread about this problem with the LG keyboard. Factory reset only worked for a couple of people. You can take a look.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=415536

Sorry mate. Tell us how it goes.

anonymous543

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I read the thread and did more research, I'll have to factory reset.. What do you mean by "unpowered" devices?

Is there a way I could access my files on my phone by plugging it into my computer? My computer recognizes the phone but won't show any file folders on it (perhaps because the device is locked).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad it works again! I'd take this opportunity to modify how you handle your data, so that it isn't so much of a hassle if you have to do a reset like this again. If you don't already, consider using Google Drive or some other cloud storage service to keep all of your files (and make sure it syncs on a regular basis). Use Google Photos Auto Backup to make sure every photo you take gets backed up immediately to the cloud.

pdejong

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
Dear all,

I managed to obtain 90% of this following this scheme:
1. I called my phone from another phone
2. I chose to answer with a personalised message, rather than responding the call
3. Since in this case Voice to text is enabled, I spoke out loud the password
4. I copied the generated text by holding down my finger on the text, and chose copy from the context menu
5. I pasted the message from the clipboard in the password textbox
6. ... and now... how to press 'Return'??? Arghhhh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol