Confusion about outlook contact sync?

danswartz

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if this is already answered - I have googled and found all kinds of tangentially related things, but nothing that addresses my specific question. I have a blackberry with t-mobile and am going to switch back to verizon with (hopefully) a Nexus N1 (as soon as VZW has it). Currently, my PC has outlook 2003, with an outlook connector called toltec, which allows me to pretend my IMAP account is an exchange server (at least for the things I care about - calendar, tasks and contacts.) Currently, I plug my blackberry into the PC with a USB cable and use the blackberry desktop manager to sync in either direction. Works fine. I am reading all kinds of confusing things about how (if at all) I would do this using an android phone (droid, N1, whatever...) I have a gmail account, but it basically just forwards to my regular email, and I am not really eager to push all my personal contact info "out into the cloud". Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

danswartz

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Ah, thanks, guys, I will check those both out. What is amusing about this is that both of your solutions (as well as the blackberry desktop manager), sync with my PC, even though none of the actual info I care about is *on* the PC - it is all in imap folders on the server :) It would be nice if the solution could deal with that, but I will take what I can get. I don't honest care about anything but the contacts, since I use them to call friends and family members - nor does my contact list change that much, so I don't care if I have to plug in a USB cable once in awhile. Again, thanks!

daThomas#AC

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't honest care about anything but the contacts, since I use them to call friends and family members - nor does my contact list change that much, so I don't care if I have to plug in a USB cable once in awhile. Again, thanks!

I used the trial of Companion Link to get my Contacts on the phone, but it's just too expensive for me to justify purchasing it.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
What is amusing about this is that both of your solutions (as well as the blackberry desktop manager), sync with my PC, even though none of the actual info I care about is *on* the PC - it is all in imap folders on the server :)
To be fair, your subject does say "Outlook contact sync" rather than "IMAP contact sync". Though it seems quite common for people to mention Outlook when they're actually referring to the server even though Outlook is the client.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz