How can I fix unfortunately gmail has stopped working?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: unfortunately gmail has stopped working

Welcome to the forums. :)

Try Settings, Apps, All, Gmail, select Force Stop, Clear Cache, Clear Data, then Power Off and Restart the phone and try again.

Posted via the Android Central App

flyerfocus

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I started getting the same thing a few days ago. I think another app on my phone may have updated and gone rogue, bringing down gmail. Here's why ...

After gmail starting giving me these messages in re-imaged my phone using a nightly cyangenmod build. While I was re-imaging I also installed GApps. The phone came up and Gmail worked fine. It wasn't until the cloud restore of all my apps started happening that Gmail once again started crashing. That's all on a tmo Galaxy S4 SGH-M919.

I also have an S3 SGH-T999L which I just, minutes ago, did a factory reset on back to the tmo supplied ROM. Same story. As soon as my other apps restore Gmail crashes with the same message. So now comes the arduous task of figuring out which is the naughty app. I mean I only have 72 apps on my phone.

flyerfocus

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Re: unfortunately gmail has stopped working

Tried the ol' Force Stop, Clears Data/Cache too. Didn't fix it. Nor did uninstalling and reinstalling GMail.

Aarontovo

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I started getting the same thing a few days ago. I think another app on my phone may have updated and gone rogue, bringing down gmail. Here's why ...

After gmail starting giving me these messages in re-imaged my phone using a nightly cyangenmod build. While I was re-imaging I also installed GApps. The phone came up and Gmail worked fine. It wasn't until the cloud restore of all my apps started happening that Gmail once again started crashing. That's all on a tmo Galaxy S4 SGH-M919.

I also have an S3 SGH-T999L which I just, minutes ago, did a factory reset on back to the tmo supplied ROM. Same story. As soon as my other apps restore Gmail crashes with the same message. So now comes the arduous task of figuring out which is the naughty app. I mean I only have 72 apps on my phone.

Aarontovo

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Did you ever find the culprit? I might have the same problem. I can only get rid of it by removing all gmail updates which only lasts until gmail slips another update past me.

It happens with my Samsung s7 and with my previous s6.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've found gmail doesn't crash in air plane mode. I suspect it's crashing upon loading a noxious email.

Welcome to Android Central.

I'm sorry that, so far, you've had to answer your own questions. It isn't always like that here. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac