Why can't we change the icon design on a car dvd, like we can on a tablet?

A

AC Question

why can't we change the icon design on a car dvd, like we can on a tablet

It is easy to change the icon design on a tablet, several free apps hales you to do so. On a car dvd it seems to be impossible to do.
Can somebody help me with this issue?

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: why can't we change the icon design on a car dvd, like we can on a tablet

I'm not following exactly what you are wanting to do. What do you mean car dvd icon.

brunocorten

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site

on a tablet, but also on a car dvd system, every app has an icon on the screen. If you touch the icon, the app will start.
On a tablet you can easily change the design of the icon. So you can customize your UI. On a car DVD this seems to be impossible.
Is there somebody who can help me to change the icon design on the screen of an android car DVD?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Any bit of software in a automobile is purposefully locked down... No, they aren't doing it to be a pain, it's a matter of safety and stability. Any automotive mobile device is under a set of guidelines substantially more strict than in something like a phone or smart watch. Auto manufacturers, once they set up these systems, don't want customers fussing with anything, even as trivial as an icon.

brunocorten

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site

I understand that. But even with a Universal after market car DVD you cannot change the icons. Does anybody knows a possibility to avoid the lock and show me a way to change the icon design?

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I doubt there's any interest at sites like XDA because the majority of these devices are Chinese sourced with little or no support. You mess it up and you'll be buying a new device. Is it worth it for the sake of an icon (especially when you should be watching the road!)? You could always contact the manufacturers but they are likely to be protective of their product/software.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Is the unit actually Android-powered or is it capable of accepting Android Auto input? If it's Android-Auto capable it's likely not powered by Android at the core. If it's not actually running Android it's a proprietary system and is going to be difficult to modify.

Sorry, but not EVERYTHING can be customized.