Why am I getting a "Can't play video." error?

A

AC Question

When I record a video using the camera on my phone or using a screen recorder, I am unable to watch them back. The video file is not corrupt because if I email it to myself I am able to watch it on my computer, and when I look at it in the gallery it shows me a thumbnail of the video. I'm not using any third party software, it's literally just recording a video with the camera and then viewing it in the gallery. Videos are saved directly to the phone, no SD card, and I even tried deleting a ton of pictures and uninstalling a couple apps I didn't use to clear space but still no solution. Black screen with white text stating "Can't play video." Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

As a side note, I have tried
-Restarting the phone
-Turning the phone off and removing the battery
-Turning the phone off and removing both the battery and sim card (carefully)

BRob72

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I was having this exact same issue and I was about to reset my phone out of frustration but I found the culprit! There was a Google+ update that was installed recently... I uninstalled it and tried to play a video from the Gallery... it gave me the option to select the App that I wanted to use to play the movie (something that wasn't happening with the error)... I chose Photos and it worked with no further issues!
The reason I decided this Google+ update was the next target of my troubleshooting was that when the "Can't play video" message came up there was a red header on the screen and I knew this was the Google+ header color (none of my other apps have this color header) so I took a shot and it worked :)
Hope it works for you too!

M Power

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
I was having this exact same issue and I was about to reset my phone out of frustration but I found the culprit! There was a Google+ update that was installed recently... I uninstalled it and tried to play a video from the Gallery... it gave me the option to select the App that I wanted to use to play the movie (something that wasn't happening with the error)... I chose Photos and it worked with no further issues!
The reason I decided this Google+ update was the next target of my troubleshooting was that when the "Can't play video" message came up there was a red header on the screen and I knew this was the Google+ header color (none of my other apps have this color header) so I took a shot and it worked :)
Hope it works for you too!

Hi i did all the steps but it didn't work
I have a t-mobil phone an xperia z3 i am using it abroad but whenever i record a video it will play a lil bit but then when i open the file it says can't play video
Any other suggestions or am screwd
Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

FATMama82

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
The same thing happened to my idol3 touch phone. I did stuff the community told me to do & lost all my pics. Found them on google+ archive but they would not allow me to put them back under my pic app. I tried everything. I disabled GOOGLE+ and they all came back and my videos are working