1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fixing "Yo" and "I'd" in the dictionary?

Does anyone here know how to fix this problem? Everytime I say hi to someone it gets changed to "to", and everytime I type "id" it gets changed to "is". Surely there's a way to fix this problem without having to completely disable spell check?
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

I use Smartkeyboard Pro.... works great. It has a larger dictionary that you can download to it plus it has a learning feature based on how you type. For slang words like "yo" you will need to add it to the dictionary. Its very simple. Just long press over the suggested word and it goes straight into the dictionary.

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

Which keyboard are you using?
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    Which keyboard are you using?
    The stock keyboard on the Incredible. I had just heard that there was a work around to fix it, but maybe I heard wrong. The "I'd" thing is one of the biggest problems I have with the phone and I'm trying to avoid installing another one, but I'll have to sit down think about it.
    Smarty Pants

ROM
    Stock

Turn it to the land scape and type, or click "add" then add it to the dictionary and it should remember it.
    Im T rop per and I approve this message
    Thanks for watching = T
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Turning the phone would help increase the accuracy, but means I lose one handed texting. Manually adding them to the dictionary doesn't change anything because I believe they're already in Android's stock dictionary. Blah.

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

Once you add words to the dictionary, they will be available when you go back to portrait mode. Landscape mode would just give you the option to work with the dictionary a little more.

The other thing to do is try other keyboards. Some of them might work better for you. I know that in portrait mode, Swype works better for me, and I am able to use SwiftKey better in landscape mode.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )
    Smarty Pants

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by TerryMasters View Post
    Turning the phone would help increase the accuracy, but means I lose one handed texting. Manually adding them to the dictionary doesn't change anything because I believe they're already in Android's stock dictionary. Blah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    Once you add words to the dictionary, they will be available when you go back to portrait mode. Landscape mode would just give you the option to work with the dictionary a little more.
    Sorry TM Xopher clarified what I was saying, I do this and when I return to portrait mode I never have a problem
    Thanks for watching = T
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by tropper View Post
    Sorry TM Xopher clarified what I was saying, I do this and when I return to portrait mode I never have a problem
    You know what I just found out? The problem doesn't exist in landscape mode. I went to try what you said and Yo and I'd were already in the dictionary even though I haven't added them. It's purely a portrait mode problem.

Just out of curiosity, which phones do you guys have? Again mine's the Incredible, I'm just wondering if maybe the problem is specific to this phone because I don't believe it uses the stock Android keyboard, but a stock HTC one.
    Smarty Pants

ROM
    Stock

Droid Eris
    Thanks for watching = T

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

Have you tried switching keyboards? I know my Samsung Galaxy S came with the stock keyboard, Samsung's keyboard, and Swype. So it is quite possible you may already have a couple of input methods available already.

I switched to Swype almost immediately and added SwiftKey (as well as trying Smart Keyboard). I prefer Swype in portrait mode and SwiftKey in Landscape.

For I'd I just type I c d and then it auto corrects to I'd. Why I hit c? Because that's where the ' is. Keep in mind I don't long press nor do I have to hit the symbol key. In terms of yo still haven't figured that nuisance out. Personally don't even think we'll ever.

Edit: typing Yoo instead of yo seems to work.