Really dumb questions, please be kind

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I am a smartphone virgin, have never had one but decided a little while ago I wanted one. But I had no idea what I wanted with all that is out there now.

Have looked at the Pre's, and Android phones mostly. Know lots of people with Blackberry's and don't want that. I am not interested right now in leaving Verizon so iphone is out.

Here is the dumb part.

I have been reading on here watching and trying to catch on but a few things I can't figure out from being an outsider.

What is a widget and how is that different than an app?

What is the home page and why do you need more than 1? I have read people saying "XXXXX phone" only has 5 home pages I need more, or something to that effect.

What is the desktop on a android phone? Have read where someone said they liked the Pre but could never give up their desktop on their android phone.

I know these are very basic principles of the android operating system but I am not sure what they mean and I think if I understood them I would have a much better idea of what type of phone I want to jump into the smartphone arena with.

Thank you

billbobaggins

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I am a smartphone virgin, have never had one but decided a little while ago I wanted one. But I had no idea what I wanted with all that is out there now.

Have looked at the Pre's, and Android phones mostly. Know lots of people with Blackberry's and don't want that. I am not interested right now in leaving Verizon so iphone is out.

Here is the dumb part.

I have been reading on here watching and trying to catch on but a few things I can't figure out from being an outsider.

What is a widget and how is that different than an app?

What is the home page and why do you need more than 1? I have read people saying "XXXXX phone" only has 5 home pages I need more, or something to that effect.

What is the desktop on a android phone? Have read where someone said they liked the Pre but could never give up their desktop on their android phone.

I know these are very basic principles of the android operating system but I am not sure what they mean and I think if I understood them I would have a much better idea of what type of phone I want to jump into the smartphone arena with.

Thank you

OK no problem. A widget is basically a small app placed on one of your home screens. I use a weather widget, it shows current conditions and time without having to open an app. There are many widgets you can use, weather, calendar, clock, memo pad,facebook, pandora, slacker radio, the list goes on. Yes all android phones have multiple screens. Each screen can be customized to your liking. You can have widgets for each screen. You do have one main screen for all of your apps, but you can move them to one of your home screens for quick access. It is way better than having to scroll through many apps to find the one you want. I hope this helps.

Bill.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Desktop/Home page same thing. I can't imagine why you'd need more than 3, now that I've discovered folders! I put all my games into a folder on my main screen, and with one touch can still acess all of them, but they take up one spot instead of a half dozen. You could do the same with shortcuts for your fave textees and phone contacts...or accessories that you don't use often, but want handy. I came from Palm land, Centro latest...and the Droid is much more flexible. The soon to be updated software to 2.1 will make accessing 5 home pages very easy with buttons on the bottom of the homepage to go right or left, or preview all of them.

It's just to have quick access to all the stuff you use a lot. As to your real choice: the Pre or the Droid, peruse the threads on the Pre here...I love(d) Palm, but they left us, we didn't leave them. SO you have to learn a new system no matter what. Now, which makes sense, to throw down on a system with one manufacturer of devices or one with dozens of hardware outfits and more coming? The growth of Android is beyond comprehension. And WinMoHel will die now, in my opinion. We'll be left with Droid, BB, and iPhone, basically.

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the answers and for going easy on me. I realize these questions may be annoying to some who use these machines everyday.

I am leaning more towards a Android device as I fear Palm being the odd man out in the end. It seems like their OS is the most user friendly for someone picking it up for the first time but being a "one man show" (palm does all the hardware and software) I worry they won't be able to keep up.

That being said I haven't figured out which Android phone I want. It may not be out yet actually. I want a Nexus one type phone, no hardware keyboard with a slim comfortable to the hand form on Verizon.

But I am worried about Google's implementation of the Nexus one. Support seems very tough to come by. I hate the idea of buying something this advanced with no face to face support network.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Is the N1 carried by VZW? Haven't paid attention...but the Eris is a great phone, and many folks love it. It's clearly sleeker than the Droid...hmmm, I do recall that it doesn't have the most souped up processor, tho'...maybe the N1 accomplishes that. If that's with VZW, I'd grab it and not look back if I didn't need the keyboard.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Is the N1 carried by VZW? Haven't paid attention...but the Eris is a great phone, and many folks love it. It's clearly sleeker than the Droid...hmmm, I do recall that it doesn't have the most souped up processor, tho'...maybe the N1 accomplishes that. If that's with VZW, I'd grab it and not look back if I didn't need the keyboard.

The Nexus One is coming to Verizon sometime this Spring.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Widgets and icons take up space. The more screens you have, the more widgets and icons you can have. You don't necessarily need more than 1 though I'm currently using all 3 three (not all full, mind you) on my Droid. I have my most frequently accessed icons on the center screen, some widgets on the left screen and some direct dials on the right screen. It's all up to you how you use them.

I want a Nexus one type phone, no hardware keyboard with a slim comfortable to the hand form on Verizon.

But I am worried about Google's implementation of the Nexus one. Support seems very tough to come by. I hate the idea of buying something this advanced with no face to face support network.
Keep an eye out for new HTC (they are the OEM for the Nexus One) Android devices from Verizon.

Have you actually tried any out in person? It's always good to take devices for a test drive at the store. Be sure to check out the Pre as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae